Corporate Finance 101: Equity Valuation
What you'll learn
- Understand company valuation, the role of cash flows, risk and return
- Apply important types of models: Dividend-Discount models, Free Cash Flow Models and Relative-Value models
- Calculate the cost of capital to a company
- This course assumes no prior knowledge of accounting or finance
A zoom-in, zoom-out, connect-the-dots tour of Equity valuation
Let's parse that
- 'connect the dots': Equity valuation is conceptually complex - that's why plenty of folks mechanically follow the procedures, but don't understand the valuation they end up with. This course makes sure that won't happen to you.
- 'zoom in': Getting the details is very important in equity valuation - a small change in an assumption, and the value output by your model changes dramatically. This course gets the details right where they are important.
- 'zoom out': Details are important, but not always. This course knows when to switch to the big picture.
- Equity Valuation Introduced: intrinsic value, price, valuation and market capitalisation.
- Absolute Valuation Techniques focus on getting a point estimate of a company's intrinsic value. This is invariably done by discounting a series of cash flows projected into the future.
- Net Present Value and Discounting Cash Flows: NPV is a crucial concept in finance - and in life. Understand what the present value of an asset is, how it relates to the rate of return on the asset, and how risky cash flow streams are handled.
- CAPM, Weighted Average Cost of Capital and Required Equity Return: These are key concepts required in valuing the risky stream of cash flows that represent a company's value.
- Dividend Discount Models: A family of absolute value models that discount the dividends from a stock. Despite their seeming simplicity, there is some real wisdom embedded into these models. Understand them.
- Free Cash Flow Valuation: FCF valuation is a serious valuation tool. Understand how to use it right - and when not to use it.
- FCFF and FCFE: The fine print on calculating Free Cash Flows to the Firm, and to Equity holders.
Who this course is for:
- Yep! Business majors and aspiring MBAs
- Yep! Finance professionals who are rusty on equity valuation
- Yep! CFA Candidates
- Yep! Accountants looking to strengthen their applied corporate finance skills
- Yep! Non-finance professionals, aspiring entrepreneurs looking to understand how companies are valued
Loonycorn is us, Janani Ravi and Vitthal Srinivasan. Between us, we have studied at Stanford, been admitted to IIM Ahmedabad and have spent years working in tech, in the Bay Area, New York, Singapore and Bangalore.
Janani: 7 years at Google (New York, Singapore); Studied at Stanford; also worked at Flipkart and Microsoft
Vitthal: Also Google (Singapore) and studied at Stanford; Flipkart, Credit Suisse and INSEAD too
We think we might have hit upon a neat way of teaching complicated tech courses in a funny, practical, engaging way, which is why we are so excited to be here on Udemy!
We hope you will try our offerings, and think you'll like them :-)