Construction Site Electrical System Design
What you'll learn
- Learn what a grounding system is and how to install one effectively
- understand how a residual current device ( RCD ) operates
- Understand the effects current has on the human body
- Know how to connect a site electrical distribution system
- Understand how a generator is connected
- Know how to install electrical cables across a roadway
- Understand electrical diversity and how it can be used.
- Learn a basic methodlogy for sizing electrical breakers
- Learn how to size electrical cables for current capacity and volt drop
- Understand how a lock and tag system can be used to make an electrical system safe
- Learn how to safely energise an electrical system for the first time
- Understand the different types of electrical fault
- Understand the difference between balanced and unbalanced loads
- A basic understanding of electrical principles
- a calculator
When you have finished this course you will be understand how an electrical system can be designed for any construction site.
The course will go into detail on the following areas :-
- Introduce the principles of operation for a site electrical system, why they need to be designed in a certain manner to achieve a system that is safe, durable & cost effective.
- Look at the key elements of the electrical system including the generation and distribution systems, grounding, residual current devices & cabling
- Show how a lock and tag system can be used to make the system safe for all users.
- Show how to size electrical cables based on the current carrying capacity and volt drop.
- Provide basic guidelines of how to size circuit breakers & generators
The course consists of short videos on each key subject with questions provided at the end of each section to test your knowledge.
Who this course is for:
- students wanting to learn about the real world application of electrical design
- electricians who are installing and operating construction site systems
- safety officers who want to understand the principles of site electrical systems and how to operate them safely
- electrical engineers of all grades
Stephen Brooks is a Chartered Electrical Engineer with over 30 years experience working in the electrical utility industry, starting as an electrical design engineer before moving into the construction field as a senior project manager building high voltage substations for electrical utilities, consultants & large contractors all over the world.
I know want to use this knowledge to teach others about the lessons learned during my career and to pass on my experiences to encourage others to join the electrical power industry.