Construction Procurement in the U.S.
This one day course will provide an overview of the project and procurement models used in construction, the procurement processes, an evaluation of the contracting options and trends emerging for the future for construction in the United States.
The course is designed for those both new to Construction Procurement and for those wanting to learn best practices in order stay ahead of the curve in this complex area of procurement.
What you will learn in this course
Why is there is a shortage of Construction Procurement professionals in the United States? First and foremost there is very little knowledge in this area of procurement. This course is designed to provide you with and excellent overview of Construction procurement and how you can learn the best practices of managing your construction projects.
· Who are all the stakeholders in a construction project and where does procurement add the most value.
· What are the major risks for procurement on a construction project and strategies that can be deployed to both allocate and mitigate project risk.
· The different types of construction bonds – why they are used and how they work.
· The major differences and similarities between private and public construction in the United States.
· How to build a great procurement strategy for your construction project
· An understanding of the construction models and which are best suited for your project.
· How do Public-Private Partnerships (P3s) work?
· An overview of the pros and cons of the most common construction procurement models and how to determine which may be the best model for you to use for your projects.
· How two stage tendering works and strategies to best to deploy this bidding model within your organization.
· Digital bidding – an overview of the digital construction platforms on the market today.
· Understanding the procurement process and best practices for deploying digital bidding for your construction projects.
· Types of fraud in construction today and how to deploy strategies to detect fraudulent claims on your projects.
· Deploying best practices procurement strategies to prevent fraud on your construction projects.
· Reviewing the different types of construction contracts – what should be included/not included and how to prevent disputes
· Lessons learned and how to build a better procurement strategy for your next construction procurement project.
Who Should Attend?
· Procurement/Sourcing Managers with or without procurement construction experience
· Owners, Project Managers/Property Managers and who want to learn about how improve procurement for your construction projects
Description of the Course
Construction procurement is very different than the procurement of goods and services. Not only are the processes for procurement different for construction, but the risks can be much higher. Therefore, it is important that procurement professionals have a methodology that allows you to formulate a structured procurement strategy for your construction projects.
Whether it is public or private construction that you are involved in, procurement professionals should be aware of the new technologies and best practices in construction procurement, construction project models, construction procurement models, procurement processes for construction, fraud issues in U.S. construction and contracting models for construction.
In managing the procurement of a construction project in America, it is important to understand how much influence procurement can have as an integral member of the project team. Although executive management, engineering, finance, project management are all involved in a construction project, procurement is a critical functional area in determining the project’s outcome.
Most construction procurement professionals practice many of the concepts that are covered in “Construction Procurement in the U.S.” . This course will allow students to be able to identify and use best practices and to benefit from the experiences of procurement professionals in all aspects of Procurement of Construction Projects in America.
Without a well-designed procurement strategy, construction projects will go ahead carrying excessive risks in engineering, construction, procurement, maintenance and contractually. Project outcomes from the lack of appropriate procurement strategies are far more susceptible to deliver outcomes with financial losses and/or projects delivered late or to a lower quality than expected.
It is the ultimate goal of this course to provide procurement professionals with the guidance and best practices to design a well-balanced procurement plan and strategy reducing risks and managing your construction projects.
Module 1: Construction Procurement Fundamentals
• Private vs. Public Construction Procurement
• Project Delivery Options
• Procurement Strategies
Module 2: Construction Project Models
• Design-Bid-Build Model
• Design –Build Model
• Integrated Project Delivery Model
• P3 Partnerships
Module 3: Construction Procurement Models
• Lowest Bid Model
• Qualifying Contractors
• Best Value Source Selection
Module 4: The Procurement Process
• Traditional Processes vs. Digital Construction Procurement
• Digital Procurement Options
• Understanding the Process
Module 5: Fraud in the Construction Industry
• Level of fraud in construction
• Fraud schemes in construction
• What can we do to detect and prevent it from occurring
Module 6: Contracting Models
• Understanding the Contract Options
• The types and forms of Contracts
• Management of the Contract(s)
How long will the course take to Complete?
Each student learns at a different rate. To complete the course can depend on your experience in construction procurement and many other factors. The course is designed as a one day exercise, so the nominal time to complete this course is less than one day. Student support is readily available online by asking a question during the online course and the question will be answered.
We have both construction procurement scenarios and true/false questionnaires after each module for you. If you would like to be assessed for this construction procurement competency at the end of the course, please make us aware and upon successful completion of the course you will receive a Certificate of Attainment for the course.