CompuRead Level 4 - Stories 1-12
What you'll learn
- Advanced reading techniques to include; comprehension, critical thinking, cursive writing and English language word and sentence composition.
- The uploaded video timeline is approximately 8.5 hours. However, the course may be completely quicker if desired.
- Each student should have completed Levels 1-3 prior to working with Level 4.
- This course builds upon the levels before and adds several reading concepts for more advanced comprehension and understanding.
- Students should have completed Levels 1-3 before working with Level 4. This course introduces Cursive handwriting and takes the student from Manuscript and Slant Manuscript handwriting to the more advanced Cursive alphabet.
- If the student is unable to complete a prior course, it is suggested to view and become familiar with the Cursive alphabet and letter formation.
- The teacher should download and print the Activity Workbooks that accompany this course and all other CompuRead courses for maximum reading and writing practice.
Level 4 of the CompuRead Program consists of 12 subcourses designed to enrich the student working with the CompuRead course and is designed to provide more advanced concepts for reading mastery. All students should have completed the previous courses, Levels 1-3 prior to working with Level 4.
The MAIN IDEA of each story tells the reader what he or she will be reading about and is a way to teach young readers and learners about the overall subject matter of the individual course.
The PRESTORY BACKGROUND is an educationally proven teaching concept and gives the reader a background idea of what will be taught in the course. This provides an excellent preview and knowledge of what the story will be about.
LISTENING TO THE STORY WITHOUT INTERRUPTION is an exclusive feature and innovation that benefits the reader with professionally read story line text and allows the student to hear proper pronunciation of English words and phrases.
PHONICS, WRITING AND SPELLING provides the student with creative ways to listen to their voice, and to recognize the sound that’s said by others.
This section varies with each story and provides many activities for the student to actually practice what they have been learning about.
It gives outstanding examples and exercises in many and varied ways to include;
• Compound and Single Syllable Words
• Consonant words and over 1200 English language phrases
• Phonics and the phonetic structure of English language words and Sounds
• Hundreds of Words and letter blends to Sound, Read and Spell, and Write
• Hundreds of Sight Words needed for fluent reading and writing
• Sentence or Sequential Event Order Placement
• Before and After Sequential Sentence and Event Ordering
• Plus much, much more that’s contained in each Level and subcourse
FICTION NONFICTION WRITING includes several genres that the CompuRead program stories are written around. It also emphasizes the story title, main idea and the specific genre of Realistic Fiction the story is written under.
VOCABULARY AND EXPRESSIVE SPEAKING includes relevant phrases that enhances the student’s vocabulary and sight word mastery. This section provides much practice with compound words, relevant and irrelevant sentences and how they relate to one another in storytelling. It also includes an exercise in Where, When and Why allowing the student to determine the story happenings to categorize them to these specific categories.
Again, as always, there are several phrases with low and higher vocabulary words to show the reader a much more expressive way to relate the meaning or written and spoken words.
It includes relevant phrases that enhances the student’s vocabulary and sight word mastery. It also emphasizes the important task of good listening. In addition, speaking clearly is also shown with words that are commonly mispronounced and the correct pronunciation. Phrases are also a part of this story with many low and high vocabulary showing the relationship between the many English language words.
SCIENCE BACKGROUND is an excellent mini lesson about the main idea and theme of each story. The Science Background can provide an introduction to the world around the student for further study.
STORY MAPPING again reviews the story telling and writing process and shows the various aspects of writing and how a story is composed.
HOME FUN contains activities the student can be involved with at home to assist in his learning to read process.
The Reading Skills Review and the Certificate of Completion provide a way for the student and teacher to review the concepts learned and tracks the student’s progress through the CompuRead Courses reading program.
Who this course is for:
- This course is for any student wanting to improve his or her reading and comprehension abilities. It will greatly assist in learning many new words, phrases, word meanings and English language composition and understanding.
- Level 4 is the gateway for any student to begin a more advanced understanding of the inside workings of the English language and will improve the student's ability for fluent reading, writing and many other needed academic concepts necessary for more advanced learning in the grades that follow.
- It is recommended that this course, as with all CompuRead courses here on Udemy, that the student be supervised by a teacher or parent.
Scott began working with the CompuRead program and designed all their printed and digital materials including five technical education manuals, 156 handwriting videos, over 300 worksheets and reading charts and voice narration of over 6,000 slides and pages.
He is instrumental in developing over 60 Mingle Games designed to teach reading concepts for the elementary classroom. These games, from easy to more advanced are simple to understand yet challenging for the child's age and student abilities. All games are designed for maximum student interaction.
He graduated from Brigham Young University in 1980 with a Bachelor of Arts in Communications and pursued his Masters degree at Central Missouri State University. He is also an AWAI certified B2B direct response copywriter.
He has worked closely with both authors of the CompuRead program since 1985 and has been highly influential in the development of the entire CompuRead series program.