Understanding the Stock Market: Concepts for Global Students
What you'll learn
- A comprehensive understanding of stock market investment and trading
- The concept of Share, Shareholder, Capital and Capital Structure of a company
- An understanding of IPO,FPO and their pricing. Face value, Book value and Market price of a share
- The concept of Profit, Dividend and Growth
- Primary market, Secondary market and how a trade happens
- The requirement of Depository, Depository Participant and Clearing House
- How do I start investing and place a Buy or Sell order
- The various market players and stock price volatility
- Difference between Investor and the Trader
- Arbitrator, Hedger and other players
- Broad concept of Fundamental Analysis, Financial statements, Ratios and other stock parameters
- Broad concept of Technical Analysis, Candle stick charts and Technical Indicators
- The concept of Derivatives like Futures and Options and the concept of Hedging
- There are no prerequisites as we shall be learning from absolute basics. You only need to have an interest in Stock market Investment or Trading
In this course hosted by PRUDENCE Engineering and Financial Consultants, Col (Dr) Shabbar Shahid explains the gambit of Stock Market Investment and Trading in a very simple and lucid manner. The instructor is a post graduate engineer, an MBA in Finance, a Chartered Engineer, a Fellow of the Institution of Engineers(India) and a doctorate in Management. Thus, qualified to be an instructor on the subject.
People often trade in shares and derivatives like Futures, Options, Call Options, Put options and even Algo trading without the basic understanding of stock market
The instructor believes that when people Invest and Trade without adequate knowledge they end up making losses. They shy away from learning because they think that the subject is too confusing and risky. This course is designed to dispel the fear by structuring it in four sections as follows:-
Section 1 titled Know the Stock Market as a Playfield, explains various aspects of the stock market like what is the concept of a share, what is shareholding and capital structure, what are IPOs and FPOs and what is the concept of their pricing, the concept of Profit, Dividend and Growth, what is Primary and Secondary market and how a trade happens, what is a Depository, Depository Participant and Clearing house, the logic of share price fluctuations and how one can start investing in a stock market.
Section 2 titled Know the Market Players and how they play, makes the student familiar with the various market players like Arbitrators, Hedgers or Hedge Funds, Institutional Investors, FIIs, DIIs, HNIs, Business news channels, Analysts, Panelists and Speculators apart from Investors and Traders. The students get a clear idea of what the intentions and agenda of these players are and how they influence the stock price.
Section 3 titled Know the Parameters and Rules of the Game, is all about broad understanding of Investment and Trading nuances like Fundamental Analysis, Financial Statements, Ratios and other stock parameters, Candlestick patterns, Technical Indicators and Technical analysis, meaning of Derivatives etc.
Aspects like Technical Analysis, Fundamental Analysis and day trading are briefly touched upon in this course.
Completion of this course will give the students a clear and comprehensive knowledge of the stock market based on which they can begin their investment and trading journey and ultimately with due practice and experience, they can become professional Investors and Traders.
Students are advised to note the Disclaimer that this is only an educational course. Investment and Trading in Stock market involves Financial risk and students must exercise due diligence and risk management before indulging in investment or trading.
This course in Not specific to Indian stock market or US stock market or indices like Nifty, Sensex, NASDAQ or Dow Jones but a conceptual course applicable to all stock markets across the globe.
This course is purely for educational purposes. Investment and trading in stock market involves financial risk. Students taking this course are advised to exercise due diligence before making any investment or trade in stock market. The instructor or any party related to this course or it's content will not be responsible for any kind of loss to anyone in anyway, due to this course.
Who this course is for:
- Those who intend to start Investing or Trading in the Stock market
- Those who are already Investing or Trading but incurring losses due to inadequate knowledge
- Undergraduates of Universities and Colleges for their awareness about the Stock market
- Young professionals who need to invest their money wisely
- Students of Commerce, Finance and Management for a better understanding of academic subject
- Students undergoing professional courses in Finance like CFA, CA, MBA etc for better understanding of the subject
You being a keen learner in quest of knowledge, our courses are designed and structured specially for you.
About our courses:
Our courses are designed to give you an in-depth knowledge in a manner which is easy to understand and difficult to forget. Emphasis is given to the fundamentals rather than bookish literature so as to make your foundation strong.
About the Instructor:
Col (Dr) Shabbar Shahid is an Army veteran and a mechanical engineer with over 38 years of experience. Qualified as a post graduate engineer coupled with a masters degree in financial management, a PhD and a passion for teaching he continues to be a learner. He is also a fellow of the Institution of Engineers (India) and a Chartered Engineer. Apart from academic qualifications and several specialized Army courses, his versatile experience in understanding people across a wide spectrum will add to the value of his lectures. Retired from the Army in 2020, he now pursues his passion for teaching and manages a small consultancy firm called PRUDENCE Engineering and Financial Consultants of which he is the founder.
Knowledge is the only instrument of production which is not subject to diminishing returns.
An investment in knowledge gives consistent returns throughout life, and then to the next generation.