Comprehensive Ruby on Rails
What you'll learn
- By the end of this course you will be able to build production level applications, completely from scratch, using the Ruby on Rails development framework
- Connection to the Internet
- Basic computer skills
Update March 2016 - New lectures have been added for: upgrading to version 4.2 of the Rails framework, how to edit nested resources, and cleaning up notifications. I also added a guide for how to install the Ruby on Rails framework locally on Mac and PC.
What does it take to become a full stack web developer? Well, you need to know: server side coding, database design, HTML, CSS, algorithm development, file manipulation, routing, API integration, and the list goes on and on. Trying to learn each of these topics individually can feel overwhelming and finding out how they are all connected cause most developers to quit before they even start.
It’s for these reasons why I wanted to create a unique course that will walk you step by step through every skill you will need to become a full stack web developer, and I do it by showing you how to build an actual production application. Starting completely from scratch I explain how to setup your environment, create the application, build in advanced features and finally deploy to the web!
Some of the key skills you will learn in the course are:
- Rails scaffold generators
- How to use git repositories
- Building custom file uploaders and downloaders
- Database modeling and query generation
- Creating and handling form data for input into the database
- Setting up secure user logins
- Building a search engine for the app
- HTML and CSS customization
- How to use the Rails console
- How to deploy the application to a live website
- How the Model - View - Controller (MVC) framework works in action
- Object oriented programming (OOP)
- And much more!
Each video in the course has a link where you can access the code that was created for that specific stage in the course, making it easy to follow along. After completing the course you will earn a certificate of completion for Comprehensive Ruby on Rails development and you will be ready to start building your own applications.
Who this course is for:
- This course was made for developers of all skill levels
Jordan Hudgens is the CTO and Founder of Bottega where he leads instruction and curriculum development for all of the DevCamp and Bottega code schools around the US.
Jordan has developed applications for Quip, Eventbrite, and DevCamp. As a teacher, he focuses on project driven education, with a focus on jobcentric techniques. This means that he focuses specifically on teaching the skills needed in the development industry. This style of teaching is conducive to learning how to build real world products that adhere to industry best practices.
Additionally Jordan has published multiple books on programming and computer science for Packt Publishing, along with developing training curriculum for Bottega, Learn Co, DevCamp, and AppDev on the topics of Ruby on Rails, Java, AngularJS, NoSQL, API development, TypeScript and algorithms.