Colored Pencil Characters: Sweet Dreams Little Kittens
What you'll learn
- Fully guided commentary recorded in real time so you can keep up as you color-along with Cindy
- How to create soft fluffy clouds in a dreamy sky
- Smoothly and quickly cover large sky areas using your shoulder rotation
- Use delicate layering for light translucent areas
- A simple method to create easy wooden textures any time
- When to use a dull/blunt tip or a sharp tip (and when it doesn’t matter)
- How to use Blurred edges and sharp edges to send areas back or bring them forward
- How to create realistic folds in clothing in an illustration style
- Gradual blending for small areas using hatching and Scumbling
- How to color soft fluffy white fur in a cute illustration style kitten face
- How to color striped ginger kitten fur in a cute illustration style kitten face
- Create highlights and shadows in white while coloring big cuddly pillows
- Learn how to draw 7 different patterns on fabric when coloring the big bouncy quilt
- Use colored blacks to add more vibrancy and life to shadows
- Understand the differences when you change the order of layering colors
- No prior experience necessary
- Colored pencil drawing materials (see the drawing supplies preview video)
Welcome to the wonderful world of Colored Pencil Drawing!
In this course I reveal my professional colored pencil drawing secrets with a relaxing and fun project - a fully rendered illustration of my children's picture book characters little Maya and Ginger Cuddleecat. They're enjoying sweet dreams as they snuggle under that big bouncy quilt with their favourite unicorn and cat toys.
After you've colored this dreamy picture, you can even frame it to hang on your wall, or perhaps give it as a gift to a friend or loved one.
The great part about creating this color-along with two cute little kittens all snuggled up in bed, is that you'll be able to apply these same techniques to all kinds of other coloring in illustrations and even your own!
Spend a few hours with me in the studio
Grab yourself a cuppa and relax. I'll take you through this step-by-step in real-time. It's like you're spending a few hours with me in the studio as I personally show you my professional techniques. Don't worry though. I've spent years figuring out the quickest and easiest ways to do things so that you don't have to. Just come and follow along with me. This is going to be a breeze.
Here are just a few of the pro tips I'll be sharing with you...
How to color soft fluffy clouds in a dreamy sky
Have you ever used colored pencils and been frustrated when you see all these awful lines through those big background areas - especially the sky. Do you dread having to color those huge empty areas? I know how you feel. I felt the same until I realised that actually the secret is to use a dull (or blunt) tip in the very first layer. It helps you move over the area more quickly and also gives you the satisfaction of knowing you have at least got the area covered. Yes! Join in to see how I show you to use the correct shoulder rotation when you're coloring large areas; its important and makes life so much easier when you're coloring large areas.
Create realistic wooden textures quickly and easily
Have you ever looked at wood textures in colored pencil drawing and thought 'wow how do they do that? It looks so hard and complicated.' Hey, I'm here to show you it's actually not! Its easy. Truly. Let me show you how.
In this course I'll show you my quick and easy fool-proof process that will help you to create wood textures over and over again. Hint - its all about knowing where to create crisp hard edges and soft blurry ones. Its got alot to do with the shadows and light (in this case the moonlight coming through the window.)
My secret to creating easy and realistic folds in clothing
Do you want to know how to very easily create those tiny folds that you can see here in the bends of the sleeves in the kitten's Pyjamas? What about that lovely rounded form that makes the sleeves look more real and solid somehow? I'll show you how to do that with simple gradations and a special skill called 'burnishing.' Its all about knowing when to have a dull tip and when to have a sharp tip. It's also about when to press and when not to.
Plus loads of other tips and techniques sprinkled liberally throughout the course...
This course was filmed in real-time with just a few small edits to keep it flowing for you. As I'm drawing I chat about little nuggets of coloured pencil wisdom all throughout. No boring bits I promise!
Works with cheap pencils and professional brands too
The great news is that for this course it's up to you what pencils you choose to use. I've especially chosen a range that you can buy from a stationery store just to show you that it can be done! Its all about technique! The techniques I'm revealing will work with cheap supermarket brand-name pencils as well as the more expensive professional brands. Tip: avoid buying the super-cheap no-name brands. Either way, whichever pencils you choose for this course, you'll be saving time and money just by using my super-duper techniques which especially minimises the amount of sharpening you'll do.
You'll feel so supported
You're never alone with my courses. My students describe my Facebook community as "the most welcoming and supportive group on the internet". You're going to love it. So be sure to join me there!
You've got absolutely nothing to lose. Udemy offers a 30 day money back guarantee!
So come on then! Bring your sense of childlike wonder and fun (plus your pencils and paper of course) and let's get started.
Who this course is for:
- Students just getting started and want to use professional colored pencil skills for any coloring
- Students who are looking for an exciting new hobby and possibly haven't colored since a child
- Students who want to learn colored pencil tips and tricks for instant great results
Cindy Wider lives in Cairns Far North Queensland Australia along with her husband Stuart, two teenage daughters and their much-loved pets; Jet the dog and Wednesday the cat.
She can be found most days in her home studio, creating the imaginary ‘Cuddleecat Family and Friends’ animal characters and her up-coming children’s picture book.
Cindy’s entire career in the art industry spans over 31 years. She's been a gallery-represented multi-award winning and selling artist and she continues to work full-time as a professional educator, author and illustrator. Through her art education books, videos and magazine articles in major publications, TV appearances and more, Cindy has also inspired tens of thousands of others to discover the world of drawing and colouring for themselves. She is also an official Ambassador for several leading International art materials brands; Derwent and St Cuthberts Mill paper.
Most of all though, Cindy has a passion for helping others learn to draw and color so that they too can experience the same joy she does.