College Mandarin Chinese Course on Your Own--Beginning Level
- 12 hours on-demand video
- 2 articles
- 122 downloadable resources
- Full lifetime access
- Access on mobile and TV
- Certificate of Completion
Get your team access to 4,000+ top Udemy courses anytime, anywhere.Try Udemy for Business
- Learn Chinese sound system (pinyin) and writing system; learn conversational dialogues based on the same range of vocabulary, grammar and topics as in the Beginning Chinese Course of most North American and European universities, such as greetings, family, dates and time, hobbies, visiting friends, making appointments, learning Chinese, school life, shopping, transportation, weather, dining, asking direction, and party.
- The students will learn 1 year's worth of college Chinese curriculum (with the same range of vocabulary, grammar and dialogue topics) in just two months (half an hour per day) totally on their own, and with the same degree of proficiency achieved. They can conduct speech in most daily situations and write more than 1000 Chinese characters.
- The students don't need pre-knowledge of Chinese. Everything is learned from scratch.For students or adults who have already started to learn Chinese in the classroom, this course also provides additional reviewing materials.
As China, a nation of long-standing and rich culture tradition rises to be the economic magnate of the world, Chinese has become the second most learned foreign language in American middle schools, high schools and universities. Chinese is the language of business and management, government and education, politics and diplomacy, as much as the language of literature and philosophy. Being proficient in spoken and written Chinese would win you a prominent advantage in career opportunities in today’s world.
Are you a college student or adult open learner who cherished the hope to study college Chinese but hampered by the lack of time and exorbitant tuition to learn in a classroom setting? Have you been a middle school or high school student who found that 6 years of secondary school Chinese can only be tested into one year’s college Chinese in college placement test? This course is a perfect answer to your dilemmas: In as short as two months, you can learn the same range of vocabulary, grammar and situational dialogues, and achieve the same degree of proficiency as a classroom student enrolled for a whole year’s College Chinese Curriculum at beginners' level. You would save more than ten thousand dollars of tuition for such full credit course in one year, while greatly speed up your learning process, at the convenience of your home and time.
The instructor is Professor Hong Zeng, an award-winning professor of Chinese. She has taught Chinese at all levels at highly prestigious liberal arts colleges and national universities in America for 16 years. She has two PhDs in Chinese and comparative language and literature, and has published 5 books in these realms in America, well-endorsed by world-renowned experts and book review journals in her field. She had twice more than doubled the classroom Beginning Chinese Course enrollment in just one year. This course adopts the same methodology and simulates the same degree of student-teacher interaction as she has taught at College classroom setting for years.This course is exceedingly thorough, methodological, and systematic, as well as easy and entertaining. It has 8 sections and 165 lectures, altogether 18 hours. By learning this course, you will be good at Chinese sound and writing system, fluent in most daily situations, such asgreetings, family, dates and time, hobbies, make appointments, school life, traffic, shopping, dining, weather, and party, etc. Hundreds of entertaining images will bring learning, reviewing, testing and application into quick circulation at every short turn as in the mode of immersion education. Following the beginning level of this online college Chinese course, there will be two courses at intermediate level and advanced level coming out soon. These three courses will allow you to learn altogether 3 years’ worth of college curriculum of Mandarin Chinese in just 6 months, and achieve the advanced level of Chinese which will allow you to be fluent in both daily and social topics, while save 30000 dollars of college tuition.
- Such a course is perfect for college undergraduate and graduate students as well as adult open learnerswho have no time and enough financial resources to study Chinese in the classroom setting. They would acquire the same degree of proficiency in two months as those classroom students who studied one year in a classroom setting, thus speed up their learning process, at the same time save tens of thousands of dollars in tuition. Since the course is based on the same range of vocabulary, grammar and situational dialogue topics as college Chinese in most universities, they can be advantageously placed in placement test, even if in the future they want to take higher level of Chinese in classroom setting. As a professor of Chinese who taught for 16 years at prestigious liberal arts colleges and universities, my teaching methods in this online course is exactly the same as I conducted classroom teaching for years.
- This course is also terrific for middle school and high school students who are learning or want to learn Chinese. Secondary school Chinese classes are usually too slow-paced and taught with different range of vocabulary, grammar and dialogues from that of college Chinese, which make these students be placed at a great disadvantage in the college placement tests of Chinese when they go to college. Sometimes, 4-6 years of learning Chinese at secondary school level only amounts to less than 1 year at college level. This course prevents such waste.
- Because this course is exceedingly systematic, thorough and methodological in introducing Chinese sound system, writing system, character stroke orders, grammar and various performance of daily conversation, any learner of Mandarin Chinese, above the age of 10, would greatly benefit from learning this course. The use of hundreds of entertaining powerpoint images bring teaching, reviewing, testing and application into a quick circulation, similar to the immersion learning mode when students have to be highly alert to learn, remember, apply, and perform functionally in quick succession. it simulates classroom interaction between the students and the teacher through exercises (describing pictures, answer questions about texts or pictures, translating using learned vocabulary and grammar ) following introduction of language knowledge at every short turn.
- For students or adults who are learning Chinese in the classroom, this course also provides additional reviewing materials and strengthens your language ability and performative level.
The introduction of the course introduces the benefits of learning Chinese and the value of this course: learn one year's college curriculum in just two months and save 10 thousand dollars of college tuition, at the convenience of your time and home. It introduces the methodology, design and schedule of this course as well.
This lecture introduces the simple finals (vowels) of Chinese pinyin sound system and the tones of Chinese pinyin.
This lecture uses a tongue twister to practice the four pinyin tones playfully.
This lecture is a pinyin practice, at the same time provides a cultural taste of the homology of Chinese written characters, syntactic idiosyncrasy of classical Chinese poetry, the composition principle (blank space) of classical Chinese painting and calligraphy, as well as Taoist philosophy.
This lecture introduces Chinese written system: the six types of Chinese written characters and how they are formed.
This lecture demonstrates how to write a Chinese character: the six guiding principles of Chinese character stroke order, in other words, the order by which each stroke is added to form a written character.during your writing.
This lecture introduces 20 most commonly-used radicals---the meaningful component of a Chinese character. Being able to recognize their meanings and to write them will allow you to recognize the categories of meaning of thousands of Chinese written characters and to write the half part of these characters.
This PDF version is provided to you for reviewing the basic Chinese radicals more conveniently. Being familiar with these radicals allow you to know the category of meaning thousands of Chinese characters fall into and to write half part of these characters.
This document teaches you how to write these radicals in the correct stroke order. Practice as much as possible. You need to remember their written form and their meanings. You need to be able to write them yourself. It will greatly convenience your future learning of writing thousands of characters.
Radical is the meaningful part of a character. This is the second part of the 40 most commonly used radicals I introduced to you. Remember these 40 radicals will allow you to recognize the category of meaning of most Chinese characters. Being able to write these radicals allows you to write the half part of thousands of Chinese characters.
This lecture introduces and practices the vocabulary and grammar of lesson l dialogue 1. The design is such: as soon as you learned 5-7 vocabularies (or 1 grammar) on a single slide (you need to read after me and closely imitate my pronunciation and tones when you do it), you will pause the slide and flash memorize the pronunciation and meaning of these vocabularies, as well as their usage in sentence context (but you do not need to remember the written form of characters yet in this lecture, you will practice writing them later in this lesson), so you can do the oral exercise (describe pictures, answer questions with the hint of these pictures, translation, etc) in the very next slide (with pictures but no written Chinese). You need to do each of these exercise on your own, orally, drawing on your memory of your just learned vocabularies from last slide in the pause I give you after each of my questions, BEFORE I provide orally the correct answer for your to check and speak after. It is essential you practice BEFORE I provide answers, as the mental effort to do it on your own makes your practice more effective and memorable. Such format brings teaching, reviewing, testing and application of language into a quick circulation: you learn quickly and immediately apply language information you just learned.
You need to preview the PDF version of lesson 1 dialogue 1 text, make sure you comprehend the Chinese text, before you go to the next lecture practicing reading the text and answering questions about the text. This version is also convenient for you to review the text whenever you need to.
In this lecture you will read after me sentence by sentence to ensure the accuracy of your pronunciation and tones, and practice listening comprehension of the text and answering questions about the text. During the first time of my reading of the text, you can look at the pinyin text, I will give you a pause after I read each sentence, a pause for you to read after me, so to ensure the accuracy of your pronunciation and tones, before I read the next sentence. Make sure you know the meaning as you read along and memorize the text content as well as the sentence structure. In the second time, you can look at the Chinese character text when you read after me so you can learn to recognize Chinese character text. In the third time, you just listen to my reading, try not to look at the text, comprehend the text solely through listening, and then answer the questions (best without looking at the text) from your memory of the text, BEFORE I provide correct answers. Repeat after my correct answers to strengthen your practice of language.
This PDF document specify the stroke order of characters learned in lesson 1 dialogue 1, please practice them at least 5 times, remember the stroke order. In the first 3 times, you can copy the characters according to my specification of stroke order, in the last two times, write these characters in the correct stroke order out of your memory.
The descriptions and guiding lines of this lecture and all the following lectures follow the same pattern as I specified in lesson 1 dialogue 1 that you studied before this, as the corresponding sections of each lesson and dialogue follows the same kind of design and practicing principles.
This is a video of lesson 1 dialogue 1. You can use it to practice listening comprehension and speaking.