Python Coding for Kids
What you'll learn
- Python coding
- Have a laptop or desktop computer with python software installed. You can watch the course videos on a tablet, such as an iPad, but you will not be able to code using Pycharm which is the recommended free software. Please have a laptop or dekstop PC or Mac.
- Good fluency in English to be able to understand instructions
Welcome to Coding for Kids! This course is a gentle introduction to Python coding.
What is coding?
Coding is writing logical instructions for a computer to follow. In our modern world, coding is used to create computer programs that power the microchips in your microwave, car, phone and every modern device you know.
Why learn to code?
Learning to code is learning to think creatively. If you can code a computer then you can think and apply yourself logically and rationally to tackle any obstacle or challenge you face in life. It is a wonderful life skill for your child to build.
Python is an extremely flexible coding language that is used by many professionals, including scientists, researchers, and engineers. It is straightforward and approachable and an excellent choice for children beginning their coding journey.
Who created this course?
My name is Daniel Shepherd. I have a degree in Physics and Astrophysics and a master’s degree in Environmental Management. I have been teaching for 25 years and have taught children of all ages throughout my career. I teach Python coding to children aged 7-11 across London in the UK. I greatly enjoy nurturing the amazing creativity and passion that young people have for coding.
What will I learn?
In this course, you'll learn the basics of coding in Python. You'll learn how to:
- Move a drawing robot around the screen
- Create mindblowing multicolored graphics
- Repeat lines of code (using a FOR loop)
- Keep pieces of information in your computer's memory (using variables)
- Get your computer to do math for you
- Think clearly and logically in a calm way
- Experiment and explore with your mind
- Boost your confidence
I hope you enjoy my course.
Who this course is for:
- Children aged 7-11 years old with an interest in coding and little or no prior experience of coding/Python
My name is Daniel Shepherd and I'm the founder of Shaer Education. I created Shaer Education to produce educational resources of value.
I have a degree in Physics and Astrophysics and a master’s degree in Environmental Management. I have been teaching for 25 years and have taught children and adults of all ages throughout my career.
After graduating from college I founded and ran a language school and translation agency in Japan for ten years and then retrained to work in sustainability as I wanted to contribute to the protection of the environment. In this field, I worked in the health and tertiary education sectors as an environmental manager and in the banking sector as an environmental data analyst.
I now run my own businesses and also teach Python coding to children aged 7-11 across the globe via Zoom. I greatly enjoy nurturing creativity and empowering people to be who they want to be.