Climate Change - The Impact on Business
What you'll learn
- Understand what we mean by climate breakdown and why we use the term
- Identify the causes of climate breakdown
- Appraise the risks to your business arising from climate breakdown
- Evaluate the impact of climate breakdown on your business
- You do not need any prior knowledge of the climate, climate change or science.
Climate change is real and urgent. It has the potential to harm everyone and to have a profound impact on our businesses and the way we run them. But too few people in leadership and management roles fully understand what it means and how it will affect their business, or how they should react. This course has been developed to help with this understanding.
The course is presented using a blend of talking head and animation with selected images used where appropriate. The course begins with a look at the causes of climate change and why some people remain sceptical about it. There is a view that we are an ingenious species, and we can develop technology to solve the problems. We consider this view.
The main section of the course deals with the range of impacts that climate change will have on business, including:
The physical risks to the business, to employees and to other stakeholders
The impact on employees, customers and suppliers
The role of business finance and regulation
The opportunities that climate change may offer to innovative businesses.
Although the main focus of the course is on the impacts of climate change on business, it would not be complete without considering the way that business should respond. We aim to help participants to understand their impact, identify the role of leadership and to avoid harmful activities.
The course concludes with a summary and call to action, followed by a quiz to confirm the knowledge acquired. A comprehensive resources document can be downloaded.
Who this course is for:
- You are likely to be involved in business.
- You could be an entrepreneur, business leader or manager (at any level), or have an interest in business and challenges to business.
- You may have a role involving sustainability or corporate social responsibility but this is unlikely to be your main job.
- You are likely to be aware that climate change poses challenges to business and you want to know more.
Richard is an environmental educator who wants to make sure everyone has access to the information they need to help them understand the scale of the environmental challenges we face.
He is currently working on a suite of courses covering the basics of climate breakdown using his extensive knowledge of the topic built up over many years. Richard has developed environmental management courses for business and has delivered these and other courses to many delegates over the last 5 years. In addition, he has just come to the end of a 20 year career as an Associate Lecturer with The Open University in the UK. He is an examiner for environmental certificate and diploma courses with a UK-based, international examination board delivering vocational qualifications in subjects including environmental practice and management.