Classroom Learning Centres (Preschool and Primary Educators)
What you'll learn
- Learn about Classroom centres as an enriching tool in learning
- What are the benefits of creating learning centres in your classrooms?
- Know about the types of Learning Centres in a Preschool- Classroom Library, Block Centre, Dramatic Play, Sand Play, Sensory Center
- Know about the types of Learning centres in Kindergarten - Classroom Library, Art/ Music/ Dramatic Play, Circle Area, Active Play
- Get an understanding of Learning centres in Primary Grades - Literacy/ Creative Writing, Numeracy, Theatre, Bulletin Boards
- Be creative to design meaningful learning centres in your classrooms/ home
- Have a curiosity to learn innovative classroom tools for learning
- Understanding of Inquiry based learning will be added advantage
Classroom centre is a designated area within the classroom that provides students with exciting and interesting experiences to practice, enrich, reteach and enhance their learning. Students visit these centres to learn through play and getting involved in different activities like Reading, Writing, Music and Movement, Creative Art , Sand and Dramatic Play. These centres allow children to understand the social world, develop communication skills, and build relationships.
It is a self contained section of the classroom in which students engage in independent and self directed learning activities. These centres allow easy access to a variety of learning materials in an interesting and productive manner. Centres are designed to enhance the learning of concepts, skills, themes or topics.
Learning centres are designed in accordance with the curriculum requirements of that grade. In pre primary classrooms, lessons are designed to make children :
Whereas in primary grades, lessons are planned to focus and develop skills in:
Physical Well being
Therefore, these learning centres are created keeping in mind the requirements of children in the classroom for that particular grade.
There are various advantages of creating these learning centres. Discipline problems are reduced because groups are limited to a number which can reasonably function in each area. Classroom management is easier since children are in the area of their choice and interest. Children are engaged in hands-on activities as they explore and experiment by themselves.
Who this course is for:
- Educators, Caregivers, Learning Centre Coordinators & Parents
- Early Childhood Education Students
Hi I am Veenu
Educational Consultant, Curriculum planner & Educator with over twelve years of experience in Early Childhood Education with a passion for teaching and learning with children. I truly believe in learning happens everyday and yes, you learn from children as well. They have taught me more about myself and that happiness exists in little things.
Teaching at various institutions in India and through Parent Education Program in US, I have developed various modules for Teacher Enrichment Programs for early childhood and primary educators.
My specialised modules include:
• The Art of Storytelling
• Circle Time Made Fun
• Classroom Learning Centres
• Classroom Learning Stations ( Early Years)
• The Science of Parenting
• Making PYP Happen
• Lesson Planning
• Classroom Strategies for Effective Teaching
• Learning Essential Soft Skills ( Children & Students)