Depression relief: watch; apply. (Workbooks included)
What you'll learn
- Recognise signs of depression and be able to evade it
- How depression is linked to decluttering (clutter)
- Know how to help others avoid depression
- The clutter-depression-anxiety cycle
- How cinema visits reduce depression
- The impact of horror films on depression
- How the performing arts benefit mental health
- Self awareness. By participating, you gain. If you don't then this course offers little...
- Patience! I ask questions and I hope you will have a go at answering.
- Time. To do this course properly will take longer than just the playing time
- Access to a pen and paper to take notes/jot down ideas
- At least Beginner's level English
- An interest in films/theatre. There are many examples in this course
Note: This course does not qualify the recipient to perform any form of therapy or counseling for any other person
This short, updated (May 2021) course covers the following:
1. The stress of your children leaving home
2. Missing someone you love
3. War and depression
4. The death of a spouse
5. Can watching a film make you depressed?
6. War (in films) and depression
7. Suicide and depression
8. What if a family member has depression?
9. Crosswords and depression
10. Conflict resolution
11. Homelessness and depression
Throughout the course, homework is set - with links to Youtube videos, news articles and journals to help you answer the questions. In most lectures a film ( in which the Instructor appears) is used to illustrate the points made.
The more you participate the more you will get out of this course.
"life changing experience. your efforts are really appreciable for all and creating this course."
- Nisar Ali
"I think it is very interesting as it involves applying film to emotions."
- Tricia Bethel
"i am taking it for professional reasons. i hope to start at masters in counselling and psychotherapy for children, young adults and families in sept 2019. i hope this course will give me a taste of some of the issues i will learn about."
So - Key Points to the Approach of this course
1. A topic is outlined
2. A film/film clip is included that illustrates some of the points made
3. You are then set homework/further research
Do all that and you'll really enjoy the course - and get the Oxford Diploma!
Who this course is for:
- People who like cinema
- People who like theatre
- People who want to help others avoid depression
- People who want to escape depression
43+ years experience teaching Economics, Business, Sociology, Politics and other subjects in schools, universities and other colleges - State and Private Sector. Appeared in 100+ films (including corporate training and fitness videos). 100+ books on Amazon. Featured by the BBC, Polish TV, The Times, The Telegraph and...The Sun.
· University of Oxford (Philosophy and Economics)
· Oxford Brookes (Teacher training)
· University of Glamorgan (Business and Economics)
· Professional qualifications at Masters level
· Business and Economics degree
· Examiner for four major examining boards, at ‘O’ and ‘A’ level.
· Three teaching diplomas plus CELTA
· Qualified fitness trainer
Key academic positions held:
· Principal Oxford School of Learning
· Director of Studies: St Joseph’s Hall, Oxford
· Head of Economics: Cherwell Tutors
· Head of Business and Economics: Pipers Corner School, Buckingham
Founder: Almost Random Theatre
Business and Economics background
Set up and ran Oxford Conferences and ran 50+ Business/Economics conferences at schools - all fees to charity
Amazon Business/Economics books include:
· Case studies for Business
· Time management for teachers
· Creativity techniques in Economics
· Drucker in Business Studies
· Creativity in Business
· Business calculations
· Further applications of de Bono
· Applying de Bono
· Philosophy Games
Taught students at the University of Oxford , Brookes University and schools in the state and independent sector
Principal of Oxford School of Learning for 15 years
Created OSL Training and trained Business, Psychology and Sociology teachers
Set up Marketing Education Services in the 1980s and sold cassette tape recordings of my lectures at the University of Oxford
Featured in The Times, The Telegraph, the BBC, ITV and Polish national television owing to the success of my teaching techniques and subsequent success of my students.
Ex-Buyer for a major car company
Psychology and Motivation background
Author of 100+ books on Amazon (mainly Business/Economics/Psychology) including:
· GCSE Psychology thru Mind Maps
· AS/A2 Psychology
· AS Psychology thru Mind Maps
· A2 Psychology thru Mind Maps
· Lifestyle Plan
· The Internet and Psychology
Through his own business OSL Training has run training courses for teachers of Psychology
Writer of several plays about death and appeared in films dealing with death
Theatre and Film Career
· 2012 - set up Almost Random Theatre.
· Since 2012 the theatre has delivered workshops in Scotland, Wales, Czech Republic and Poland as well as 15 schools in England.
· Chris has written/directed over 50 short and 3 one-Act plays that have subsequently been performed in London and Oxford.
· Scripts for three of his plays have been sold, via an Independent publisher, to schools in the UK.
· Course-creator/author of Coping with Old Age and Death - one person's perspective.
· He has also had plays put on - and performed in - Oxford and Brighton Fringes, London, Scotland and Wales.
· Chris has appeared in over 112 films.
· Ambassador for Heart UK
· Stoke Lead and member of Research panel for the Stroke Association
· Board member of Stroke Club UK
· Ambassador for Different Strokes (charity)
· Member of PHC (Public Health Collaboration) UK
· Author of 6-volume Lifestyle Manual
· Author of other Lifestyle books on Amazon
· Originator of the Holman Protocol
Nothing in any of Chris's courses should be interpreted as linking to or representing any of the above stroke organisations.