Chrome Extension Development - The Basics
What you'll learn
- Understand the basic structure and functionality of Chrome extensions using Manifest V3
- Setting up, building, and debugging Chrome Extensions with best practices
- All Chrome Extension fundamental concepts such as background scripts, content scripts, browser actions, and more
- Step-by-step building of a fully functional example Chrome Extension
- Learn how to prep your extension for publishing, how to publish, and tips on growing it
- All the skills needed to build your own extensions and real-world examples
- Basic foundational knowledge of HTML, JS, and CSS
This course will teach you how to build Chrome extensions, which are small software programs that customize the browsing experience on Google Chrome. You'll learn how to create and publish your own extensions from start to finish, as well as how to use the Chrome API to access and alter browser functionality.
Whether you are a new developer or an experienced one, this course will introduce you to extension development. Throughout the lectures, we will cover all the fundamental concepts of Chrome Extensions with easy-to-follow examples, followed by creating 2 fully functional example extensions from start to finish that applies the fundamental knowledge (as well as some introductory more advanced concepts). We will close out the course by walking through the Chrome Web Store publishing process and ensuring you have everything you need to know to get it approved in the Web Store as well as some tips & tricks to increase your odds of success and grow your extension.
Below is a partial list of topics covered:
Manifest V3 overview
Browser actions and commands (including popup menus)
Background scripts & service workers
Using user storage
And much more!
I built this course based on years of working with extensions so you can hit the ground running on your next extension project. Sign up today and join me as we cover all things Chrome Extension-related!
Who this course is for:
- Any level developer looking to jump into Chrome Extension development for the first time
I'm a full-stack developer based out of Canada. I have experience building and scaling a variety of web applications and services in various domains. I have also been building, publishing, and growing Chrome Extensions and extension products both professionally and for personal projects for over 5 years now, with a couple active in the Chrome Web store with thousands of daily users.