World War 1 - The Christmas Truce of 1914
- 1 hour on-demand video
- Full lifetime access
- Access on mobile and TV
- Certificate of Completion
Get your team access to 4,000+ top Udemy courses anytime, anywhere.Try Udemy for Business
- You will be able to develop your knowledge and understanding of the events surrounding the Christmas Truce of 1914
- You will be able to familiarise yourself with the different events that led to the First World War
- You will have a better understanding of the social and political environment of the period
- You will be able to compare the media's reaction to the truce at the time with how the Christmas Truce is perceived today
- You will learn about football's contribution to the war and in particular the part it played within the Christmas Truce
- There are no pre-requisites for this course, but ideally you should have a keen interest in history and an enthusiasm to learn
The Christmas Truce of 1914 was a remarkable episode during World War I; a single fleeting moment of man's humanity, amidst the horrors of war. This course takes a detailed look at the truce, within the context of the social and political landscape at the time. It also considers the part that football may or may not have played during the truce and why it is that a football match has become the overriding symbol of the Christmas Truce in modern times.
What Subjects Does the Course Cover?
The course begins with a look at a number of the factors that ultimately led to World War 1 and then describes in turn the early months of the war, the phenomenon that was trench warfare, some of the other unofficial armistices throughout history and also early attempts at a truce, in the December of 1914.
The Christmas Truce itself is then discussed, looking at the events that took place on Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and Boxing Day, before examining the part that football may have played within the truce.
Finally, the legacy of the Christmas Truce is considered, especially in the context of the Centenary celebrations of 2014.
What Learning Materials are Included within the Course?
The course is broken down into 8 sections, comprising of over 30 lectures.
The majority of the lectures are video-based lessons, but there are also regular Did You Know snippets of interesting information and there is a multiple-choice quiz at the end of each section, so that you can test your knowledge as you go along.
Why You Should Take this Course?
The course acts as an ideal supplementary learning material for pupils or students studying the history of World War One, whether at school or at university.
However, the course is also an excellent resource for anyone who has an interest in learning about the Fist World War or has a passion for history in general.
- Anyone interested in learning more about World War One and the Christmas Truce in particular
- Pupils and students studying World War One in their History classes at school or at university
- Authors researching the WWI period for a novel in an historic setting