What you'll learn
- By the end of the course, you will have a completed first draft of a full length play.
- In this course you will learn the basics of playwriting, i.e. theme, structure, character, plot, climax.
- Adapt a practical approach to writing, making it a lifestyle and not just a hobby.
- You will learn to write by writing.
- You will need your creative mind and access to microsoft word.
Theatre is the oldest form of dramatic storytelling, and many still consider it the most electrifying.
Nothing beats the intensity of actors sharing the same air as the audience. The laughs, gasps and tears happen live and on the spot. But before a great play is performed, a great play has to be written and somebody has to write them. You are here because you want to be counted among those who write and write well.
A play will not soar in performance unless it's great on the page. This Online Course will teach you how to tell a story that is theatrical and produceable from a Christian perspective.
On top of that you will learn about:
·How to write an engaging plot
·How to choose the perfect setting for your play
I will also teach you important lessons about how and where you can market your work. Whether you seek to write skits, one-acts or full-length plays, traditional or experimental, this is where you will learn to do it. I will show you how to write plays that will bless audiences and keep them asking and coming back for more.
With the knowledge you gain from this course you will fully understand the techniques involved in taking a play from merely a concept to a finished draft. Using a balance of lectures and assignments/exercises, this course will give you a firm grounding in all the basics of Christian playwriting. Everything is presented in a clear, straightforward manner.
I'm very excited about this ministry and honored that God has given me the opportunity to play such a great role in the development and advancement of drama in the church. I cherish the opportunity to pass on this trade and these skills to you.
Who this course is for:
- Christians who wish to write good quality plays for church, schools, or theater. Some writing experience is necessary.
- Tertiary students with a desire to write plays as a profession.
Cleveland O. McLeish is an Author, Entrepreneur, Playwright, Screenwriter, Ghostwriter and Teacher. He studied Creative Writing at the University of the West Indies, Edna Manley College of the Visual and Performing Arts, Gotham Writers Workshop, Christian Writers Guild and The Writers Bureau. Presently, he holds a Diploma in Urban Ministry and is pursuing his Masters of Arts in Religion with Gordon Conwell Theological Seminary. He serves as Youth Director and Lay-Minister in the Church of God of Prophecy, along with his wife Nordia.