Christian Prayer Methods
- Students must be willing to take time to actually practice some of the methods of prayer and meditation that will be taught in this course.
Prayer is a core Christian practice, but for many, this means "saying prayers" or asking God for various favors. In this course, we will review a variety of methods of prayer that have been used for centuries in Christianity. Whether you're a beginner who is just learning how to pray, or a more mature Christian who has been at it awhile, this course will offer specific guidance, encouragement and support for practicing several time-tested methods of prayer.
The following topics will be covered:
* Prayer of Jesus, Paul and the Early Christians
* Prayer and Christian Spirituality
* Basic Ingredients of Personal Prayer
* Praying With Scripture (Lectio Divina)
* Centering Prayer
* Christian Meditation
* Breathing Prayer
* Praying Psalms
* Praying with Icons and Art (Visio Divina)
* Dealing with Distractions
* Supports for Daily Prayer
The course will consist of 10 short video lectures, with supplemental resources for each. Discussion questions and comments are welcomed. Students are encouraged to work at their own pace, but not simply to rush through the course. Taking time each day to practice the prayer methods is an important part of the learning experience.
If you are seeking to grow in your practice of Christian prayer, this course will be helpful to you. Even if you're not sure and just where you are with Christian beliefs, come and see.
Who this course is for:
- This course is designed to help anyone grow closer to God by deepening their practice of Christian methods of prayer and meditation.
- 06:00Introduction and Opening Remarks
- 10 questionsPre-test: Evaluating My Prayer Life
I am the author of 26 books on prayer and spirituality, with a background in retreat work, spiritual direction, alcohol and drug abuse counseling, and biology. Publishers of my books include Crossroads, Publ., Ave Maria Press, Liguori Publications, and Pelican Publishing Co. During the past seven years, I have also ventured into publishing on demand with Lulu Press. Current employment is at Heartland Center for Spirituality in Great Bend, KS, where I present retreats, workshops, and spiritual direction.
Degrees include a M.S. in Biology from the University of Southwestern Louisiana (1974) and a Doctor of Ministry in Spiritual Direction from the Graduate Theological Foundation (1996).
I am married and the father of three grown children, with four grandchildren as well. My wife and I reside in Bel Aire, KS, which is just outside of Wichita.