Chess Strategy and Tactics: Paul Morphy's amazing games
What you'll learn
- Be able to play the King's Gambit with key Morphy model games in mind
- Be able to play the Italian game and in particular the exciting Evans Gambit with key Morphy model games in mind
- Be able to play the Scotch game more comfortably with key Morphy model games in mind
- Be able to understand the dangers of the Evans Gambit more clearly as Morphy had nearly a 90% success rate with this in preference to the Ruy Lopez
- Be able to see clearly how going for the King can even overcome material odds given at the start of games
- Be able to maximise win probability even when playing with extreme material odds using techniques of pawn fragmentation around opponent's king or "Thorn pawns"
- Be able to calculate forcing variations more accurately with a Morphy King hunting mindset
- Be able to have a number of options and mindset for opening up positions and creating tactical opportunities
- Be able to study a master without being distracted too much by modern technical opening theory to more easily grasp key concepts and ideas fundamental to chess
- Be able to learn from one the greatest tactical old master to reinforce tactics, forcing moves and combinations and imaginative win-generating concepts
- Be able to see how to win against inferior play by non masters who are less familiar with opening theory, tactics and positional play than todays masters
- Be able to appreciate more the so called "Romantic era" of chess which featured intuitive sacrifice and mate instead of often tedious modern grinding games
- Be able to appreciate a wide range of Paul Morphy iconic games - not just the "Opera" game which Paul Morphy is mostly remembered for
- Be able to appreciate why a6 in the Ruy Lopez is named after Morphy - known as the Morphy defence to the Ruy Lopez and is seen in over 65% of Ruy Lopez games
- Be able to form a more "concrete" mindset about downside actual exploitability in concrete moves as opposed to what looks intuitively or vaguely promising
- Be able to experience a fine "chess game art gallery" with many beautiful and brilliant games which also have great instructiveness to them
- Be able to play exciting attacking dynamic chess and especially Gambits which were common in the Romantic era of chess
- Be able to understand that Chess understanding concretely is an evolving community database of example games, and Paul Morphy is an essential foundation of that
- Be able to understand more what chess commentators mean when they use terms like "principled"
- Be able to handle Open positions - Mikhail Botvinnik indicated that in such handling there has been nothing new since Morphy
- Be able to see why Bobby Fischer called him one of the most accurate players who ever lived
- Be able to see why Bobby Fischer considered Paul Morphy to be probably the greatest genius of them all
- Know how the pieces move
Embrace the brilliance of Paul Morphy, an American chess virtuoso renowned for his outstanding abilities and hailed as an unofficial World Chess Champion. Learn from the memorable games of the genius whose prowess influenced future World Champions like Bobby Fischer and inspired timeless admiration from masters like José Raúl Capablanca and Wilhelm Steinitz.
Dive into Morphy's thrilling short games, especially those of 25 moves or less, each rich with instructive value. Morphy's celebrated 'Opera game' serves as a prime example of his gift for precision and flair, prompting Fischer to label him as one of the most accurate chess players in history.
Capablanca admired Morphy's inconceivably deep understanding of technique, strategy, and tactics, recognizing his extraordinary chess brain. Steinitz celebrated Morphy's profound book knowledge and unprecedented mastery of open positions, a sentiment echoed by Mikhail Botvinnik, the 6th World Chess Champion.
Immerse yourself in key principles that Morphy expertly embodied, a valuable guide for chess beginners:
Rapid development of pieces
Assertive control of the Center
Expertise in opening lines of attack
Distinguish yourself as a follower of the 'Romantic School of Chess,' where 1.e4 openings and spectacular tactical play often lead to swift checkmates in under 30 moves. However, Morphy was no stranger to strong positional play, excelling in open games and showcasing his tactical genius.
Join the ranks of Garry Kasparov (13th World Champion), Viswanathan Anand (15th World Champion), and Max Euwe (5th World Champion), who recognized Morphy as a trailblazer far ahead of his time. Like the rapid-fire brilliance of Vishy Anand, Morphy executed his moves swiftly in an era devoid of time control, making his style relevant to the demands of modern chess.
Favoring the King's Gambit and the Evans Gambit with white, Morphy invites you to explore his preferred opening systems. Grasp his approach, designed to fuel aggressive and sharp tactical battles, and carry forward his legacy in your games. This course aims to infuse the participants with Morphy's spirit of creativity, precision, and tactical brilliance, contributing to their evolution as well-rounded chess players.
Who this course is for:
- Beginner to Intermediate chess players
Dive deep into the intellectual universe of chess with Tryfon Gavriel, famously known to enthusiasts as "Kingscrusher." Beyond my titles as a FIDE Candidate Master and British Regional Chess Master, I am a dedicated chess educator, committed to spreading knowledge and passion for the game.
Decades of Strategic Pursuits My engagement with chess is a 35-year-long odyssey marked by competitive achievements both online and offline, including a peak ICC blitz rating of 2625 and an exceptional ECF grading of 212. My early triumph in the Lloyds Under 18 national UK tournament back in 1989 set the stage for a life steeped in chess, culminating in numerous top finishes in Lichess marathons and more.
Udemy's Chess Luminary While I once enjoyed sharing insights and high-level analysis on my YouTube channel, my current passion lies in crafting comprehensive chess courses for Udemy. My dedication has been recognized with the "highest-rated" award for my detailed course on José Raúl Capablanca's strategies and the "Best Seller" accolade for my "Complete Guide to Chess Tactics," which garnered widespread acclaim shortly after its debut.
Pedagogy that Transforms Teaching chess goes beyond explaining moves on a board. For me, it's about igniting a passion for the sport and developing a deep, enduring understanding of strategic thinking and tactical decision-making. Drawing inspiration from chess titans like Paul Morphy, Alexander Alekhine, Mikhail Tal, Bobby Fischer, and Garry Kasparov, my courses offer more than knowledge—they provide a window into the minds of chess's greatest masters.
Your Journey Towards Chess Mastery My offerings on Udemy are designed for learners at all stages of their chess journey. Whether you're just starting or seeking advanced strategies, my courses are a gateway to deeper comprehension and appreciation of chess. Through meticulously designed lessons, I aim to equip you with the skills, confidence, and strategic acumen to elevate your game.
Join me in this exploration of chess, delving into the intricacies that make it a timeless classic. With each lesson, we'll unravel the complexities and joys of chess, fostering not just better players, but lifelong enthusiasts.