Chef Essentials: Mastering the Basics of Config Management
What you'll learn
- Understand Chef terminology and concepts
- Automate server configuration with Chef recipes and cookbooks
- Understand configuration management concepts such as idempotence
- Leverage Erubis templates for dynamically configuring servers and applications
- Implement attributes and understand precedence
- Students should already be somewhat familiar with Linux command line
- Students should be comfortable editing text files from the command line
Are you looking to advance your IT career? Do you want to automate your System Administrator tasks on-prem or in the cloud so you can focus on the value-add problems? Would your organization benefit from faster, standardized, and predictable server automation? Are you trying to transform your legacy IT services into a DevOps model?
Then you need to take this course and start taking advantage of this amazing tool!
The Chef Essentials course will teach you the fundamentals of Chef, including how to install the Chef Development Kit, writing cookbooks and recipes, how to use recipe sub-components, and how to test your recipes locally.
This course includes reference materials and simple examples designed to help you build a solid foundation of Chef and configuration management knowledge. The course is primarily in video lecture format, but also includes quizzes throughout the course to check your comprehension and hands on projects to build real world experience.
It will take you roughly one week to accomplish Chef Essentials, depending on how much time you can dedicate to the course each day. The course is structured in two major sections, an Overview section and a Deep Dive section. The Overview section is designed to demonstrate the power of Chef, explain fundamental concepts, and explain Chef-centric terminology. The Deep Dive section will be comprised of lectures and hands on labs to teach you about:
- Recipes, including dependencies and 'include' statements
Chef experience can be a differentiator when looking for a new role and make you invaluable in your current position. Chef can automate your server configuration and is a crucial piece of any delivery toolchain. Chef provides the simple, reliable automation you need for configuration management, and this course provides the quickest path to leveraging Chef.
I look forward to you joining my course.
Who this course is for:
- This course is meant for entry-level IT professionals with some basic Linux system administration experience and an interest in automation. No formal development or programming experience is necessary. If you are looking for Chef Server administration or advanced Chef Development Kit training, then please see my other Chef courses (coming soon!)
I am a senior cloud architect with experience in both building custom, internal private clouds as well as leveraging public cloud providers. For the last 3 years, I've been architecting and deploying scalable, elastic, and highly-available applications, including large enterprise applications such as ERPs, eCommerce, and asset management suites. I have 8 years of broad IT and development experience and love teaching others.