Game Hacking: Cheat Engine Game Hacking Basics
What you'll learn
- How to get started with Cheat Engine
- How to hack a process memory
- Finding variables and pointers in memory
- Using data structures to hack health and ammo
- Hacking games to get invincibility and unlimited ammo
- Get a solid foundation in memory hacking
- Using Pointer Scanning to hack health
- Writing scripts to inject code to reload ammo
- Basic Assembly Language
- Use inline assembly (code caves) to inject code into process memory
- Do Array of Bytes (AOB) injection
- Use Freeze Method to verify memory addreses
- Use double pointer map scanning
- Use Range of Module Address and Offset Parameters to optimize pointer scans
- NOP, JMP and Reverse assembly code get unlimited ammo reload
- Creating Cheat Tables for Teleporting
- Hacking 3D coordinate Systems for Flying
- and more . . .
- Basic knowledge of C/C++ and Assembly would be helpful, but not necessary
- PC running Windows 7 or 10
If you like playing games or reverse engineering, then this course is for you.
Traditionally, reverse engineering has been done using familiar tools such as x64dbg, OllyDbg and IDA. This course will introduce you to another powerful tool commonly used in game hacking - called Cheat Engine (CE). This tool will allow you to modify in-game Health, Ammo, Position and more.
Although youtube has plenty of tuts on Cheat Engine, they typically lack beginner-friendly explanation and personal guidance. In this course, I will take you by the hand as a complete beginner to become familiar with what is game hacking and reverse engineering. You will learn the difference between memory values vs. pointers, data structures, how to scan memory to tamper with it to become invincible plus have unlimited ammo, create Cheat Tables (shareable hacks), pointer scanning, writing scripts to inject code into process memory and more...
By the end of this course, you should be able to apply your basic skills to hack an open source free game called Assault Cube - a 3D First Person Shooter (FPS) game. I have chosen this game because, it can be used as a standalone game - where you play against bots - and also because the game is totally free and open source - and is the standard game to use when first learning game hacking.
Difference between memory hacking and file patching.
In traditional reverse engineering, after we have managed to reverse it, we would patch the program file. However, not all programs can be patched, eg, packed programs cannot be patched. Here, Cheat Engine shines. Cheat Engine does not rely on patching programs, its main strength lies in memory hacking (process hacking). In Cheat Engine, we allow the program to be loaded into RAM memory first, then we hack it there. This course introduces you to the basics of Cheat Engine - so that you will be familiar with memory hacking using Cheat Engine.
Throughout this course, I will be there for you - to answer all your questions and to guide and mentor you in game hacking and reverse engineering. Thank you and see you inside.
Who this course is for:
- Anyone interested in learning game hacking
- Reverse engineering students looking for alternative ways to hack a running program
- Software or game developers who want to know game or app hacking works so that they can protect their software
I am a semi-retired college lecturer with more than 20 years experience in teaching computing and information technology. My interests range from reversing, coding to graphics design, apps, games development, music, health, spirituality and well-being. In my spare time, I also play the piano and keyboard. I enjoy teaching face-to-face and online and also love educating and inspiring others to succeed and live the life of their dreams.