ChatBots: How to Make a Facebook Messenger Chat Bot in 1hr
- 2 hours on-demand video
- 5 articles
- 4 downloadable resources
- Full lifetime access
- Access on mobile and TV
- Certificate of Completion
Get your team access to 4,000+ top Udemy courses anytime, anywhere.Try Udemy for Business
- Build a Chat Bot for Facebook Messenger
- Learn how to Build a Server
- Learn how to Deploy Bot in the Cloud
- Learn how to connect a Bot to Facebook Messenger
- Learn how to connect Webhooks to Facebook Messenger
- Learn how to set up Chatbot in Fb Messenger
- Learn how to Add Access token to Chatbot
- Learn about Facebook Messenger Chatbot best practices
- Learn how to manipulate what a Chatbot says
- Intro to Artificial Intelligence in Chatbots
- Facebook Messenger Protocol and User Interface Elements
Chat Bot Discover: How will people find your Bot?
Bots are so new, that there aren't even Bot Stores Yet! Facebook showcases a few select bots, but there is no way to discover, search or find cool new chat bots. Chatbot discovery is in its infancy and if you build a chatbot there is no assurance that an audience will come! As a result you will have to leverage some of the new communities in this space. People are still very excited and it's still easy to capture people's imagination. This is the perfect time to create a chat bot.
Welcome to the Course and Congrats!
This is a quick overview of what the course is about and how it is structured. You will learn how to build a server and deploy your chatbot to the cloud. Then we will connect your chat bot to Facebook messenger using webhooks and an access token. Finally, we will learn about Facebook Messenger Cards and other UI/UX features. We will manipuate the cards and play around with what the bot says. Lastly, we will discuss whats possible with Chatbots and Chatbot Discovery.
Welcome to the Course! Lets Build Your First Chatbot for Facebook Messenger!
This is the intro to the course and we have a lot to cover. First and foremost, incase there is any confusion, we will cover what a chat bot is and what a chatbot does. Facebook Messenger chatbots have certain characteristics and features. We will go over some of the high level components of facebook chatbots.
What Lecture Covers:
- Clarifying what a Chatbot is and what it does on Facebook Messenger
- Playing with 3 Different Bots on Messenger
- Go Over the Aha Moment Labs Bot
- Go Over the Smart Notes Bot that this course is based on
- Cover the Functionalities of the Smart Notes Bot that we will be using in this course
What you will be building:
- We are building a Parrot Bot that is based on the repeat function of the Smart Notes Chat Bot.
- At the end of this course you will have a Chatbot that Parrots back what you say
- The bot will have a trigger word that makes the chat bot respond in a different way: with cards!
- The Cards will be in a Carousel and have a number of Links
How to Make a Chatbot for Facebook Messenger Workbook PDF
Course workbook is a Step by Step Downloadable PDF Guide that contains all of the important links and code snippets. The workbook makes copying and pasting code possible while also giving additional information about the steps you will be taking.
Here is what is included in the Chat bot workbook:
- Workbook works in Conjunction with the Video
- Links to Tools
- Code Snippets
- Detailed explanations and Pics
- Available for Download in Resources
Chatbots: How to Build a Chat bot - Setting up your Developer Environment
This lessons covers:
- Visual Studio Code
- Node JS
- Sing Up for Git
Chatbots: How to Build a Chat bot - Building the Server
In this lesson we will build our server! We start by downloading the Heroku toolbelt and all of the Node.js dependencies we will be using. We will also make sure that our npm is up to date!
What this Lesson Covers:
- Install of Heroku Toolbelt
- Install of node.js dependencies
- npm up to date
- Start Project folder and initiate npm
In this lesson we will be creating the main file of your Parrot Bot. The parrot bot function of repeating what a users says is one of the main components of our Smart Notes Bot and was used in making it. We will be using some of the code from that project along with other code, much of which was proved by facebook.
Facebook makes code snippets available on their developers site. The code snippets are for building some of the core functionality that is available in messenger. This includes facebook messenger cards, carousel, payment cards, and more.
The Facebook Messenger Cards for Chatbots have a few main characteristics:
- Image: optional
- Buttons: up to 3 buttons. Can be url or payloada
Download the index.js file.
How to host your Chat Bot in the Cloud:
It's to to Commit Your Chat Bot to the Cloud. We will commit it to Heroku using git and get the chatbot working in the cloud. Once this is complete, your facebook messenger chat bot will be ready for connecting it to facebook messenger.
There are many ways to commit your Chat Bot to the Cloud, such as AWS, Heroku and other Server Hosts. We have made it easy by using Heroku and git.
How to Connect your Chat Bot to Facebook Messenger
In this lesson we will connect your Chatbot to Facebook Messenger. There are a number of things to consider once you have created an app on facebook's developer portal. We will cover all of the different configuration options and add messenger to our portal. Next we will connect our Chatbot to our App Page which will produce a token.... but lets not get too far ahead. In this lesson your will learn how to connect FB Messenger with you Chatbot.
Set up Facebook Messenger For Chat Bots:
You will need to:
- Sing up for Facebook Developer Account
- Create a Facebook Page for you Chat Bot
- Create a New App
- Add Messenger
In this lesson we go step by step on setting up Facebook Messenger for you Chat Bot
Chatbots and Facebook Messenger Webhooks
Chatbots work via webhooks. This is how the Chatbot knows what to say and when to say it. All of its responces depend on webhooks!
In this less you will learn what a webhook is and how to connect your Chatbot to Facebook Messenger using a webhook! There are a number of options and elements that go into setting up webhooks and you will learn about each!
Getting and Using your Facebook Access Token for you Chat Bot
After you connect your App with a Facebook Page, Facebook Messenger will generate an access token for you. You will use this token and input in into your index.js file. This token authenticates your app and allows you to connect your chat bot with the corresponding facebook page.
Chat Bot Access Tokens
Overall they are easy to set up and this lesson makes it even easier!
How to Trigger Facebook to Send Messages
So far you have connected your App to Facebook Messenger using a webhook and have gained access to a facebook page using an access token, but what about sending messages?
We need to trigger Facebook to Send Message and we this with a simple Curl command!
In this lesson you will see exactly how to trigger facebook to send message and get your Chat Bot to respond!
This is a Quick and Simple Checklist to make sure that we are up to speed. We insure that each and every step has been taken in building our Chat Bot. We also make sure that our chatbots has been connected to facebook properly using access token, webooks, and curl as well as insuring that the latest code has been pushed to Heroku.
Time to Play with your Chat Bot!
In this lesson we begin by playing with your new chatbot! See how it responds to your inputs and play around with the links. Do you see a difference between sending 'hi' and 'yo' to your chat bot?
Chatbot Responses, UI/UX, and Manipulating What your Bot Says
In this lesson we will explore the different UI/UX elements in the messenger chatbots and how to manipulate what the Bot Says. We will play around with the different trigger words for the chat bot and we will change around the Cards and Carousel.
Chatbot User Interface and User Experience
Eventhought the UI/UX seem to be very simple for the Chatbot, there are still many things to consider. We will look at some of the popular chat bots and consider both the value proposition and the user experience. Chat bots can be a great way do certain activities while being very poor at others. User experience and inherent value of conversations will dictate which bots win out in the end.
- Internet Connection & Desire to Learn is all that is needed
- Willingness to Learn Terminal, JS, Node.sj on their own.
> Top Course on Chatbots on Udemy with 9,000+ Students! Facebook is already reporting that over 40,000 Bots Have Been Built and more are coming. Join the Bot Revolution! <
You will Learn How to Build a ChatBot for Facebook Messenger in 1 hour! You will learn by building 2 bots for Facebook Messenger: a parrot bot and a bot for your favorite football team.
We teach you how to Build a Bot in 2 Ways:
- Coding: In the Coding Section, you will be making a Parrot Bot in Node.js using our sample code.
- Without Coding: You will be making a Bot for you Favorite Football Team without any coding.
Anyone can make a Bot using this course! This course was Designed so even a complete newbie could create the Football Team Bot.
What you Need to Be Successful in this Course:
- Computer and Internet Connection
- Desire to Learn: Passion for Chatbots & Ai
- 1 Full Day: Some students can complete this course as quickly as a few hours. If you are new to programing, I suggest you take the day and run through this course content first then replay it and build the Parrot Bot.
What technologies are Included? For the front end we will be using JaveScript and Node.js for the backend. You can however use anything you want for the backend (php, ruby, etc). Here is a brief summary of technologies used in this course:
- Heroku Servers to Host and Deploy Bot
- Node.js & JaveScript to program the Chat Bot
- Visual Studios as IDE
- Github for Repository
- Facebook Page & Developer Account
*Everything you Need will be provided in this course for Free
You Should take this course if:
- You have a desire to learn how to make ChatBots
- You are new to Chat Bot building
- You want to make a Chatbot Today
This course is ideal for anyone who wants to learn how to make a chatbot from scratch. We will focus on the main components of building a chatbot which includes building the server, adding your code to it, deploying it in the cloud, and connecting it with Facebook Messenger.
- If you have already build a number of chat bots or if you know how to make a Messenger Chat bot