Have you ever wondered how to create awesome looking 3D characters like the ones you see in films and games? But you have no idea how or where to even start?
You could spend thousands going to a college specializing in 3D graphics and spend years learning the art of 3D character development and other things 3D related. Or better yet, get straight into making your own 3D characters in much less time without having to spend thousands.
If you've chosen the latter, then you've come to the right place!
What's in this course?
This course will introduce you to the world of 3D character development in the open-source 3D software Blender. You will learn all the skills and techniques involved in creating your 3D character in a learn-by-doing manner.
Starting from scratch, you will learn:
- Character Modeling - You will start with just a cube and you will work your way through modeling your complete 3D humanoid character. We will be using a combination of box modeling and polygonal modeling techniques. Along the way, you will learns some cool and useful modeling tricks to make your 3D modeling experience more enjoyable. Apart from modeling your character, you will also learn how to model clothes for your character.
- Basic Human Anatomy - While the course doesn't heavily focus on anatomy, you will be introduced to some basic human anatomy that will help in making your characters look more believable.
- Texturing and Shading - You will learn the skills needed to paint realistic skin textures and create a realistic shader for it so that your character's skin looks and feels like actual human skin. You will also create textures and shaders for your character's clothes.
- Rigging - You will learn handy techniques to quickly rig your character in Blender so that it can bend and pose in various ways.
- Hair and Beard - You will use the Particle System in Blender to create and style your character's hair, beard and eyebrows.
- Presentation - You will finish the course by creating a portrait rendering of your character to show off to the world and add to your own portfolio.
With over 6+ hours of content and 50 lectures, there are so many things to learn!
Who is this course for?
This course is perfect for anyone interested in creating 3D characters. No need to have any formal background in arts or 3D graphics. There will be no technical jargon in this course and everything will be explained in an easy-to-understand step by step manner.
We will be using Blender in this course to create our character. It will be mostly advantageous if you are also a Blender user. You will also further benefit from this course if you know your way around Blender and are able to carry out basic 3D modeling within Blender.
If you are not a Blender user, the skills taught in the course can still be followed along and also be applied to your preferred 3D software.
What is the expected outcome after this course?
By the end of this course, you will have created your first 3D character model which will be fully modeled, clothed, rigged, textured and shaded. The character you create can then be handed over to an animator for a film or game ready to come to life.
It is highly recommended that you follow along with me throughout this course as you will benefit from a learn-by-doing approach. This will give you confidence to later on create your own 3D characters and one day become an awesome 3D character developer yourself.
This course could be the first stepping stone to a 3D art school or becoming a freelance 3D character developer. The opportunities are limitless!