Let's Learn How to Design Characters, Creatures and Mechs
What you'll learn
- Follow a few different processes to create new and interesting characters/creatures/mechs
- Be in a pattern of learning, studying, sampling and creating
- Techniques to skill up faster in sketching and character design
- Previous drawing skills will definitely help
- Install either Photoshop or Krita
- A bit of knowledge in whatever digital painting tool you choose would be good
Hi I'm Matt Carr, lead artist at 2 Hit Studio and college concept art lecturer with a long-standing passion for creating truly different characters. The main focus of this course is imparting tried and true exercises that will have you creating weird, wonderful and ultimately unique characters that I have developed over the years, but we also cover design/drawing basics.
This course starts at a level appropriate for beginner and intermediate artists, with fundamental figure and gestural approaches to drawing. Then, we build up on your "reference library," teaching you practical analytical and critical skills any successful artist must have. Then... the really fun stuff. We go into some exploration exercises that are guaranteed to help you discover new creatures, mechs and humanoids you will never believe you were capable of inventing. Finally, we refine one of the drawings and take it through to a finalised, polished presentation piece.
Ideally students will have some drawing and/or digital art experience, but it is not necessary!
So pick up a pen, pencil or graphics tablet and start making truly inventive art today!
Who this course is for:
- Anyone wanting to get started on character design or concept art
- Anyone stuck on an art block and wondering how to create something new
- Game dev artists or similar role looking at possibly another set of techniques
Also known as 2 Hit Matt. I'm the lead developer and artist at 2 Hit Studio, but since we're a 2 man band, my role changes often. 2 Hit Studio is a small indie game dev team working on games such as Fatal Theory, One Heart, Blitz Smash and Starslinger Kings. I love working with C++ wherever possible and action games are my game of choice, preferably 2D with a little Japanese influence.
I've been teaching at a private college for a few years and I'm now starting to branch out onto online.
Also I have two kids and they are way awesome.