Chair Yoga Progressive Series with Joanna Griffin
What you'll learn
- This Progressive Chair Yoga Series is a wonderful tool for beginners or for seasoned practitioners looking to deepen their practice.
- It may also be a useful resource for Chair Yoga Teachers looking for class inspiration and modification options.
- The series will focus on improving mobility, strength and fine motor skills.
- It will provide an opportunity for students to learn variations and modifications that serve their unique bodies.
- The first five classes will focus on specific areas of the body and the last two classes will have a full body approach incorporating familiar exercises.
- It may improve body awareness, boost circulation and increase stability and balance.
- To be able to sit comfortably in a chair with no arm rests.
- Optional blanket and/or cushion.
- Comfortable clothing and option to wear socks or bare feet.
This Progressive Chair Yoga Series is an opportunity to learn tools that can provide the body with more mobility, flexibility, strength and space, all from a seated position. Research has shown that the most effective way to reduce pain and increase longevity is through movement. This program begins with classes that focus on specific areas of the body to increase function, improve fine motor skills and body awareness. The program culminates in combining the exercises learnt throughout the series in classes with a full body approach. The series also includes a guided self care massage. All classes are taught at a meditative and mindful pace, with clear instruction and with lots of variations and modifications throughout. This Progressive Chair Yoga Series will empower students to feel confident to make choices in their practice that truly serve their bodies.
Intro/Outro - Amaranthus by Chad Crouch
Savasana - The Sun Is Scheduled To Come Out Tomorrow - Chris Zabriskie
Who this course is for:
- Individuals with physical mobility challenges and seniors.
- Beginners to Chair Yoga or seasoned practitioners looking for new classes.
- Chair Yoga Teachers looking for class inspiration and modification options.
Joanna is a 500hr Experienced Registered Yoga Alliance Teacher. She completed her trainings with Yogacara Global. The 200hr Hatha and Vinyasa training was in Whistler in March 2015 and an additional 300hr in Bali in April 2017. She also completed a 50hr Yin Yoga certification with Bernie Clark at Semperviva, Vancouver in May 2016. Joanna was invited to guest teach at The Om Show London in October 2018. She is an online guest teacher for Your Yoga Flow and she has also been a Kindred Kula Ambassador. She has connected with a wide range of students and has experience teaching in schools and colleges, senior homes and community centres, in yoga studios and she has had the privilege to work with children and adults with physical and learning challenges. Joanna is now focusing her attention on growing her own online platform and curating accessible inclusive yoga content to share globally. Joanna's classes cultivate first and foremost a space for grounding. She strives to establish a sense of balance in the body through the concept of Sthira and Sukha, strength and ease. Joanna's personal practice and teaching is slow and mindful, giving time for the student to curiously learn from their body and breath in each pose and transition without rushing to what is next. The creation of such a space gives the practitioner the opportunity to linger, to develop a deep awareness of their own bodies and to recognize that they truly are their own best teacher and guide as they delve inwards. Joanna is passionate to share what she is learning on her own yoga journey and she truly believes that the time we spend working on ourselves in our yoga practice can create a beautiful ripple effect out into the world.