What you'll learn
- A Basic understanding of the basics of Centering Prayer and Contemplation
- Understand the principles of Centering Prayer
- Learn the practical steps of this prayer method
- Learn more about thoughts, distractions, sacred words and how they help you
- Learn how to deeper your relationship and prayer life
- Learn to practice Centering Prayer in your everyday life
- Willingness to sit in silence for 10 to 20 minutes a day
Centering Prayer is a method of meditation that has in use by Christians with a strong emphasis on interior silence. The modern Centering Prayer movement in Christianity can be traced to several books published by three Trappist monks of St. Joseph's Abbey in Spencer, Massachusetts in the 1970s: Fr. William Meninger, Fr. M. Basil Pennington and Abbot Thomas Keating. Fr. Keating through his teachings, workshops, and retreats has made Centering Prayer available and accessible to all people regardless of their religious affiliation and affinity. This is a great practice of prayer for anyone interested in changing their focus in life.
This prayer practice centers you and helps you get into a deeper relationship with God. It is a very useful method of prayer that can be used by anyone regardless of their spiritual status. If you believe in God, you can easily enter into this prayer practice. Because in the end, this is not about a particular religion, but rather a God-centered living.
Who this course is for:
- Anyone curious about meditation
- Someone interested in Christian Spirituality and practice
- Anyone interested in healing of the self
- People who want to find a rhythm in their lives
- Someone looking for a spiritual discipline
- A young college student who is looking to center his or her life
Jos Tharakan is a priest in the Episcopal Church and founder of House Of Blessings Foundation, a 501(c) 3 non-profit public charity that promotes spiritual life. He believes lives can be changed through prayer, works of charity and compassion. Through his works with Mother Theresa of Calcutta, and saintly men and women in India, Jos has a unique way of looking into lives difficult situations. He is also the founder of CAMPaM ACPE Network, a community of chaplains who practice Complementary Alternative Methods of Healing in their daily life and work. He has taught over thousands of people over the years through his ministry in India and in the United States and was the national presenter at the National Association of Catholic Chaplains.
Jos loves music and has composed over 49 albums in several languages including a ballet for the United Nations, and several other pieces of music in different genre. His music can be found on iTunes, Amazon or other retailers. He is a Spiritual Director and retreat master. He publishes an online newspaper everyday that is free to the public.