Carving a Simple Wood Spirit with a Flat Chisel
What you'll learn
- How to make different cuts to reveal a face
- A simple step by step system that can be replicated and modified to suit
- How to read the grain of the wood and keep the flow with possible mistakes
- This course is for complete beginners to wood carving
In this class you'll learn how to carve your very own wood spirit, a traditional woodcarving that people have been creating for centuries. It found it's origins in Europe where travelers often carved wood spirits into their walking sticks or other pieces of wood for protection from the spirits of the forest.
In this class you'll learn :
How to cut out the brow and eye socket
Simple shaping of the nose
Establishing the cheek bones
Creating the beard and lower lip
All with just a mallet, one flat chisel, a piece of wood and a clamp!
I'll also show you some examples of what can be achieved with just flat chisels at a more advanced level.
When you've finished your project I would love to see it!
Who this course is for:
- Anyone who finds the thought of carving to be a daunting and costly process will get something from this class. Whether it's your first time picking up a chisel or you're an experienced woodworker who has never dabbled into a more free flowing and artistic form of wood shaping. I like to show that you can create something you're proud of with limited budget, tools and space.
Who am I?
My name is Clint Rose and I'm a wood carver from Suffolk, UK.
What do I create?
I make all kinds of carvings from signs to figurines and scenes. I use a whole variety of woods to create my work with a selection of chisels and knives. My pieces have found their way all over the world and I continue to be inspired by all the amazing creators and possibilities out there.
Why am I on Udemy?
Starting your woodworking and carving journey with very few tools and the whole wealth of the information on the internet can be a blessing and a curse. It's so hard to know where to start and to just make simple things. I'm here to try and simplify wood carving, which can be a very daunting creative pursuit, so that people of all abilities can learn to create something they're proud of.