Career Building with Power Tools
What you'll learn
- Utilize the Career Building Power Tools to pinpoint your ideal job role
- Create a prioritized list of your most meaningful personal values
- Identify the root causes of past job satisfaction and dissatisfaction
- Inventory and assess your job skills
- Create a skill gap inventory
- Define your interests and align them to specific job roles
- Discover your key talents that can enable a more fulfilling job role
- Develop an action plan to put your self-knowledge to work in pursuing your ideal job role
- Microsoft Excel and Microsoft Word to complete course exercises and to utilize provided templates
- Focused time to ensure meaningful and accurate output from the application of the Power Tools
- Sticky notes or index cards to make the exercises more engaging (optional)
***New lecture added on Understanding Behavior Styles August, 2022****
In this course you will learn how to apply tools to complete the first step to finding your ideal job role, which is knowing yourself. I will be your tour guide, walking you through the self-exploration process using my V.I.S.I.T framework. The V.I.S.I.T framework is an easy-to- use model that identifies each component of the self-exploration process, which includes prioritizing your values, gaining insight from past experiences, assessing your skills, clarifying your interests and discovering your talents.
Using simple and engaging activities called Power Tools, you will clarify your personal work preferences and build an action plan. Just like real power tools provide users with speed and efficiency to get the job done quicker, the Career Building Power Tools taught in this course will expedite and enhance your ability to pinpoint the attributes of your perfect role.
The Power Tools are Adaptable and Easy to Use
The Power Tools are in Microsoft Excel or Word format, and you will receive a copy of the templates as a resource from the course. You will also learn to use online tools available through O*Net to help you take what you have learned and pinpoint your perfect job role.
As an added value from the course, you will find that some of the Power Tools can be used to help you with decision-making, organizing information and finding root causes in areas that extend beyond finding your ideal job role.
The Career Building with Power Tools Course Is Designed for Ease of Learning and Engagement
The course is divided into three sections; an introduction, self-exploration and bringing it all together. The heart of the course is the self-exploration section which includes lectures which cover each of the components of the V.I.S.I.T. framework and the associated Power Tool. The lectures will cover:
An overview of the framework component and the associated Power Tool
A demonstration of how to utilize the Power Tool
Exercises to test or practice what you learn
This engaging course utilizes multiple formats to deliver the content, including videos, screen sharing, PowerPoint, articles, exercises and quizzes.
Who this course is for:
- The target student is an individual motivated to discover and pursue their ideal career or job role
- This course is best suited for individuals that have some job or volunteer work experience
- This course is suited for individuals looking to pursue a new role now or those planning for the future
Ethel Walker has over 25 years of professional leadership and management experience working for a Fortune 50 company. She has held various roles to include recruiting, hiring, developing and leading high performing teams. Ethel has also held roles in process improvement consulting and project and program management.
Ethel is the founder and proprietor of Walker Training and Consulting, a company that offers skill development training and career coaching. Walker Training and Consulting focuses on helping people develop workplace skills such as decision making, organization & planning, business fundamentals, problem solving, communication and other soft skills.
Ethel holds an MBA from Western Governors University and is a trained Lean Six Sigma Process Improvement Black Belt through Villanova University. Ethel is a Certified Professional Career Coach through the Professional Association of Resume Writers and Career Coaches. Ethel is also certified to administer the DISC Behavioral Profile and EIQ-2, (emotional intelligence) assessments.