Essential Skills for Family Caregivers
- No prior knowledge required. This is a family caregiver class for all levels of experience.
Being a family caregiver can be deeply emotionally satisfying. At times, it can also be stressful and overwhelming. Caregiving is a big commitment and older adults may need a wide range of different types of assistance.
This CareAcademy class was created to provide family caregivers with essential tips and support to make this part of life a little easier to navigate.
By the end of this class, you will be able to:
Explain the importance of maintaining a clean environment for both yourself and your loved one.
Demonstrate proper handwashing techniques.
Assist your loved one with getting dressed.
Assist your loved one with a bath in bed.
Demonstrate proper body mechanics when assisting with moving or transporting your loved one.
Safely assist your loved one in and out of a vehicle.
Identify the different modified diets that a medical professional may recommend for your loved one.
Practice ways to make meal time comfortable for your loved one and to help him or her stay healthy.
Practice communication strategies for loved ones with hearing impairment.
Practice strategies for managing caregiver stress.
Identify options for seeking in-home care for your loved one.
- Family caregivers or anyone interested in learning some essential skills to take care of a loved one.
- Overview of Infection Control
- Hand Hygiene
- Infection Control - Check Your Knowledge
- Dressing Practices / Adaptive Clothing
- Bed Baths
- Personal Care - Check Your Knowledge
- Proper Body Mechanics
- Assisting In and Out of Vehicles
- Transporting an Older Adult - Check Your Knowledge
- Preparing Simple, Modified Diets
- Overview of Eating Habits / Options
- Nutrition - Check Your Knowledge
- Managing Hearing Loss
- Communication - Check Your Knowledge
- Managing Stress / Coping Techniques
- Respite Care
CareAcademy gives professional and family caregivers the opportunity to enhance their caregiving skills through high-quality online classes. Our mission is empower caregivers to learn how to deliver the best care to older adults with the support, guidance, and compassion needed to improve the older adult’s quality of life. We are educating caregivers to provide excellent care.