Cantonese for Absolute Beginners
What you'll learn
- Master the tones, consonants and vowels in Cantonese
- Learn basic vocabulary
- Learn basic grammar
- Hold casual conversations with native Cantonese speakers
- Have the knowledge foundation to pursue intermediate / advanced Cantonese
- None except a passion to learn Cantonese!
Cantonese is one of the most ancient, culturally-rich and complex languages in the world. It has 100 million speakers from all around the world.
This course is suitable for absolute beginners. Although Cantonese itself can be complex, I promise I'll make it simple. I'll walk you through learning Cantonese slowly, clearly and systematically.
In Part 1 of the course, we will talk about the foundations of learning Cantonese: the 6 tones, the vowels and the consonants.
In Part 2 of the course, I'll teach you essential survival vocabulary that will be incredibly useful for anyone.
In Part 3, I'll go over some basic Cantonese grammar. By the end, you'll be able to form sentences and hold simple conversations with native Cantonese speakers!
Many people might be reluctant to start learning Cantonese because they are intimidated by Chinese characters. That's why his course aims to get you off the ground by putting an emphasis on spoken Cantonese rather than written. Although you are still encouraged to try writing and remembering the characters, Jyutping (a Cantonese romanization system) will be given throughout the course, so memorizing characters is NOT required.
Don't wait to get started! I promise learning Cantonese is an eye-opener and an experience that you'll thoroughly enjoy!
Who this course is for:
- Anyone who is interested in learning Cantonese
- Anyone who wants to move to a Cantonese-speaking area (e.g. Hong Kong, Macau, GuangZhou)
- Anyone who is interested in Chinese culture