CAD for Woodworkers: makes it easy to draw woodworking plans
- 2.5 hours on-demand video
- 10 articles
- 10 downloadable resources
- Full lifetime access
- Access on mobile and TV
- Certificate of Completion
Get your team access to 4,000+ top Udemy courses anytime, anywhere.Try Udemy for Business
- Learn to draw fully dimensioned plans, quickly and easily
- Although the course is based on DraftSight, because of the similarities to AutoCAD and other professional CAD applications, you will learn to draw woodworking plans using any top level CAD program
- No prior knowledge of CAD
- You will need a computer capable of running either DraftSight, or the FREE alternative nanoCAD, which should be downloaded and installed prior to taking the course. Additionally, a wheelmouse or equivalent is really useful to allow zooming and panning without accessing screen commands.
Once you have learned the basics in CAD drawing, you will have a skill that will last you a lifetime.
Here's what a recent student on the course, Cady Dodds, a carpenter designer/maker who runs Perfect Space Carpentry, had to say in an email to me:
"The course has been great for me, first step towards electronic drawing.
I sat down this afternoon and drew up 2 elevations for a client, some wardrobes and storage. Although basic I think quite acceptable and took me about 2 hours or so, and after a bit of fettling I got them to print. So I am very pleased."
This was Cady's first ever CAD drawing. The 2 hours it took him, will soon become an hour. The time savings CAD offers you have to be experienced to be believed. What's more, you can send your finished drawing to anyone, anywhere in the world, as a PDF file which they can open to view and print. Its an unbeatable technology, using FREE software!
Here are some of the things the course teaches you to do:
- how to set up the CAD screen to draw more quickly and easily
- how to use a few basic tools to maximum effect, and build even complex drawings using simple techniques
- how to re-use existing drawings to create new ones, in a fraction of the time
- how to dimension your finished drawings in minutes using powerful CAD tools
- how to output your drawings as finished scale plans, either printed or as PDF files
Using a project based, step by step method I show you how to draw a complete set of elevations of an Apothecary's Chest.
A PDF version of the plans of the chest are provided to download for reference, and sequential versions of the relevant CAD files for you to work on as you progress through the course are also included. These files are prepared with a range of dimension scales to make it much easier to output your finished drawing, and can be re-used as templates in the future.
The course has 3 main sections
- Customising the workspace, where you learn how to streamline the CAD screen and tools to get the most out of them
- The project, where you learn through step by step video lectures, how to draw a complete set of woodworking plans
- Dimensioning, scales and output, where you learn how to add dimensions to the finished plans and output the drawing to print or as a PDF file
- The course is designed primarily to teach CAD to anyone involved in woodworking and similar craft and design disciplines.
Start the customisation of the DraftSight screen, clearing toolbars and palettes to give yourself a bigger drawing area and simplify the user interface. This customisation is optional, but is recommended as it will help in drawing more effectively and quickly.
A short reference guide to drawing rectangles using the coordinates system.
Round over the end of the top with the FILLET tool, and then MIRROR the top 2 rows to create the bottom 2 rows of drawers. Using the LINE tool to create a guideline, and then the STRETCH tool to edit the bottom drawer heights to finish the drawers.
Creating a side elevation using a copy of the front elevation. Changing the width of the copy using the STRETCH editing command. Introduces the OFFSET command to create the side frame, and EXPLODE command to create lines from a rectangle.
Please download the CAD file WW CHEST 2 available with this tutorial.
The website I run, LineMine, is dedicated to providing drawings and drawing expertise for makers of all disciplines. This lecture contains promotional coupon codes for the paid membership options and updates on drawing downloads, upcoming courses and more.