Business Writing & Technical Writing Immersion
What you'll learn
- To understand and define your audience and intended outcome before starting to write.
- To apply a systematic writing process that works each and every time, and will stick with you for years.
- To organize your ideas and thoughts in a better way to ensure your audience "gets it," and you land your points effectively.
- To compose clear, concise communications which impresses your audience, gets the job done, and improves your career trajectory.
- To draft documents are well-planned, thoughtful and ensure ease of readability for your audience.
- To get your email points heard immediately, at the top of the communications, helping you to get what you want.
- To increase the speed and productivity of your digital, written, and oral communication.
- Knowledge of the English language.
This program is one of the most highly rated business and technical writing courses online for as very good reason, as confirmed by over 25,000 students and over 3,250 reviews:
- It is ‘clear, informative and concise’
- It is ‘detailed, practical and contains many practical tips’
- The instructor is ‘conversational and engaging’
These are among the many 1,000s of reviews, and a few of the many reasons you should take this course.
* * * * *
To write emails, business documents, reports, and other professional communications effectively, it is essential to implement a simple yet proven and systematic approach. This “writing system” was created by Dan Graham years ago and has stood the test of time. The system is subject of various books, hundreds company and business lectures, and now the practice of many 100s of 1000s of professionals worldwide.
The writing system uses 12 steps and almost 60 practical techniques to walk you through from initial writing analysis to final copy, producing documents that succeed every time. For each writing technique, the course provides tutorial with exercises and thoughtful answers. Special instructions help professionals for whom English is a second language. Advanced techniques help teams write long documents such as proposals. This course includes a separate section about writing professional emails, covering tenses, verbiage, and tone.
The program is built from videos and supplemental pdf documents where you follow along with Dan, including through e-book extracts that align to and support each of the videos. The program includes 38 video modules, as well as supplemental materials, averaging approximately 7-10 minutes each.
The modules are structured, as follows:
- Introduction & Overview
- Step 1 – Analyze Purpose
- Step 2 – Analyze Audience
- Step 3 – Writing the Purpose Statement
- Step 4 – Gathering information
- Step 5 – Writing the sentence outline
- Step 6 – Writing the draft
- Step 7 – Revising content and organization
- Step 8 – Editing for coherence
- Step 9 – Editing for clarity
- Step 10 – Editing for economy
- Step 11 – Editing for readability
- Step 12 – Conclusion and final thoughts
- Appendix B – Tips for writing emails
- Appendix C – ESL Articles, Attitude and Approach, and Tenses
The instructor and his support team are available for the lifetime of your course access to answer any questions and comments. The goal is to help you polish and perfect your writing communications skills.
More about this course and Starweaver
This course is led by a seasoned author, editor, business executive and technical writer with many years of hands-on, in-the-trenches editing and writing work. It has been designed, produced and delivered by Starweaver. Starweaver is one of the most highly regarded, well-established training providers in the World, providing training courses to many of the leading financial institutions and technology companies, including:
Ahli United Bank; Mashreqbank; American Express; ANZ Bank; ATT; Banco Votorantim; Bank of America; Bank of America Global Markets; Bank of America Private Bank; Barclay Bank; BMO Financial Group; BMO Financial Services; BNP Paribas; Boeing; Cigna; Citibank; Cognizant; Commerzbank; Credit Lyonnais/Calyon; Electrosonic; Farm Credit Administration; Fifth Third Bank; GENPACT; GEP Software; GLG Group; Hartford; HCL; HCL; Helaba; HSBC; HSBC Corporate Bank; HSBC India; HSBC Private Bank; Legal & General; National Australia Bank; Nomura Securities; PNC Financial Services Group; Quintiles; RAK Bank; Regions Bank; Royal Bank of Canada; Royal Bank of Scotland; Santander Corporate Bank; Tata Consultancy Services; Union Bank; ValueMomentum; Wells Fargo; Wells Fargo India Solutions; Westpac Corporate Bank; Wipro; and, many others.
Starweaver has and continues to deliver 1000s of live in person and online education for organizational training programs for new hires and induction, as well as mid-career and senior level immersion and leadership courses.
If you are looking for live streaming education or want to understand what courses might be best for you in technology or business, just google:
starweaver journey builder starweaver[dot]com
Who this course is for:
- This course is intended for any level of participant, from recent college graduate, to the experienced executive, and everyone in between. It can be used as an immersion training, or as a brush-up of skills.
- Anyone who needs to communicate clearly and effectively, whether by email, proposal, technical document, etc.
We are on a mission to transform technologists into world-class experts, and business people into tech-savvy leaders.
It's that simple!
We are a technology and media company that delivers a completely new, immersive, addictive and connected education experience online for technology and business pros.
We help you develop habits and skills that kick your talent into a star-level of performance!
We deliver superlative, hands-on and practical professional development and education focused on several key domains:
1. Data Science, including big data, machine learning, data visualization, data analytics...
2. Cloud Computing, including Amazon Web Services, Microsoft Azure, Google Cloud Platform / Firebase, IoT, Platform as a Service, Infrastructure as a Services, Software as a Service...
4. Agility & Stability, including a broad group of frameworks and techniques involving Agile, Scrum, Kanban, TOGAF, ITIL, cybersecurity...
5. Business domains, including a strong emphasis on banking, finance, securities, and insurance (e.g., derivatives, credit risk management, corporate finance, financial modelling...)...
Our business is designed to boost your knowledge and skills so that you can apply what you gain immediately in your job, or that next great job you are looking to start. We address, largely, more advanced, or complex subjects and convert those into rational, understandable, and usable information you can employ right away. If you want to take a great leap forward in your career, we are here to make that happen.
Our instructors are seasoned practitioners who have worked in the fields their cover and relate the subjects covered to real work situations you will encounter in your job. So, the concepts are real, the coverage is at the right level of depth, and the material is straightforward.
Who trusts us with their training requirements? The world's preeminent companies, organizations, and agencies. Specifically? Check out our website and you will see that these are the best of the best.
THE ENTREPRENEURIAL SPIRIT
Since I was 15, I have been involved in starting, building, expanding, or growing entrepreneurial ventures. Some ventures began in my backyard; others in someone's basement or apartment; and still others within a huge national or global enterprise. In all cases, what has driven me is taking an idea (or problem) and helping spawn that into a reality.
Whether the venture created is in business, science, the arts, education, or any other humane field of endeavor, invention and discovery drives me. I am also very committed to contribute to my family, friends, colleagues, community, and world.
I have been in so many different ventures in my life that my mother wondered out loud when I was 'going to get a job.' But my job has always been creating jobs. That is the work of an entrepreneur. In the early 1990s, I began my career in technology investment banking, advising software and hardware companies on business and financing strategies, and raising funds for those businesses. At that same time, I took a strong interest in publishing. As we all know, both information publishing companies and technology companies in the 1990s saw their World crash together head on. Each learned they could not survive or thrive if they were not strong in their command of both technology and information.
Not every venture I have been involved in succeeded. Anyone who tell you have a perfect business track record is simply lying. But the failures inform how you do the next one better ..., assuming you are willing to learn and grow by the mistakes you make.
ENTRY INTO THE BUSINESS OF EDUCATION
In 2002, I landed in the education arena when we rescued and then resuscitated a globally well-regarded live, in person training and publishing company that had jumped into e-learning in the late 1990s, way before anyone even knew how that might work online. I ran that business for about 16 years and travelled the World to manage training initiatives for many of the largest global financial institutions, and many 100s of 1000s of individual students (over 10x the number of students I now have on Udemy).
THE BACKDROP | A PASSION FOR LEARNING | PERSISTENCE
As a child, I struggled to read and felt a great deal of embarrassment and frustration because of that. But I refused to let that prevent me from learning. I kept many hundreds of English language words with definitions and their usages on file cards, and daily reviewed and read their meanings and usage. I felt embarrassed, humbled and (rather) angry that I had difficulty learning. But I PERSISTED AND WOULD NOT GIVE UP.
By high school was enrolled in many advanced placement classes, and then was fortunate to end up at an Ivy League school (the University of Pennsylvania) where I majored in Economics and had dual minors in Mathematics and English. I also participated in courses in the UPenn's venerated Benjamin Franklin Scholars program, which was intended to be limited to the most intellectually gifted kids at school (which I was certainly not). So, how did I get to take courses in this program? I demonstrated that I wanted to learn everything and would not compromise on the normal boundaries. I also showed up and would not take no for an answer. I SIMPLY
PERSISTED AND WOULD NOT GIVE UP.
MY TAKEAWAY AND ADVICE FOR YOU
If you want to build your dreams, you can but you must persist. You must set your eye on an ambition and never give up. You must learn to pivot and change as circumstances change, of course, and you must always learn and learn to learn.
My mission is to help you learn and to help you achieve your dreams. Feel free to reach out to me on LinkedIn if I can support your ambitions in any way.
Stay healthy. Stay happy. Keep growing. Always be learning.