Building Your Platform
What you'll learn
- To introduce students to platform thinking.
- To define a contemporary platform.
- To describe the benefits of platform thinking.
- To cull lessons from Amazon, Apple, Facebook, and Google.
- To provide specific steps that organizations and people can take to create or augment their own platform.
Amazon, Apple, Facebook, and Google (aka, The Gang of Four) are perhaps the four most successful companies around right now—and for good reason. Each company has embraced platform strategies, built different planks, expanded their businesses in new and interesting directions, and grown powerful ecosystems.
In this course based off of his highly acclaimed book The Age of the Platform, award-winning author and recognized technology expert Phil Simon distills the essence of platforms—and what has made these companies so successful. What's more, he provides inside advice for businesses of all sizes and types. Yes, they can learn from The Gang of Four.
Who this course is for:
- Businesspeople of all levels and for all types of organizations.
Phil Simon is a frequent keynote speaker, recognized collaboration and technology authority, and college professor-for-hire. He is the award-winning author of eleven books, most recently Reimagining Collaboration: Slack, Microsoft Teams, Zoom, and the Post-COVID World of Work. He helps organizations communicate, collaborate, and use technology better. Harvard Business Review, the MIT Sloan Management Review, Wired, NBC, CNBC, BusinessWeek, and The New York Times have featured his contributions. He also hosts the podcast Conversations About Collaboration.