Building F# Applications
What you'll learn
- Setup your IDE for F# development
- Use F#-friendly tools for test automation, builds, and dependency management
- Model your application's problem domain using F#'s immutable data types and collections
- Make invalid states unrepresentable
- Build simple-to-complex application behavior with F# functions
- Interoperate between your F# applications and other .NET languages
- The course will use F# version 4.1 with Visual Studio 2017 and Visual Studio Code
- The principles and code should work if you have earlier versions of the language and tools
Developers are challenged today to build applications in less time, while maintaining high standards of quality, reliability, security, and performance. The F# programming language can help you meet these challenges by letting you write solutions with less code, fewer bugs, and better alignment with business requirements.
This video course starts by showing how to use the functional features of F# to rapidly turn requirements into software designs that are correct, complete, extensible, bug-free, and easy to read and understand. We will start by setting up our F# development environment and reviewing some key language features. We'll then look in depth at two powerful techniques for building real-world F# applications: type-first design and function composition. We'll then learn to leverage advanced F# tools to build and test applications.
The video course examines key language features and functional programming techniques with the goal of providing a good understanding of the basic building blocks that can be used to build higher abstractions and more comprehensive solutions. As we go, we will learn how to set up a development environment and design a build process with tools that leverage the F# language.
About the author
Richard Broida is a software design and programming consultant specializing in Microsoft Windows and Azure technologies. Over his career he has developed enterprise applications for clients in medical, banking, insurance, manufacturing, transportation, and e-commerce. He is a frequent speaker on F#, C#, and cloud technologies and has taught .NET programming courses for adult professionals. You can follow Richard on Twitter (@SirEel) or on LinkedIn. He lives in Cleveland, Ohio.
Who this course is for:
- The course also caters to intermediate C# developers who want to gain a deep understanding of F#.
- This course will appeal to programmers and developers who are confident with the basic grammar and syntax of F#. Also, who are now looking to sharpen their F# programming skills.
Packt has been committed to developer learning since 2004. A lot has changed in software since then - but Packt has remained responsive to these changes, continuing to look forward at the trends and tools defining the way we work and live. And how to put them to work.
With an extensive library of content - more than 4000 books and video courses -Packt's mission is to help developers stay relevant in a rapidly changing world. From new web frameworks and programming languages, to cutting edge data analytics, and DevOps, Packt takes software professionals in every field to what's important to them now.
From skills that will help you to develop and future proof your career to immediate solutions to every day tech challenges, Packt is a go-to resource to make you a better, smarter developer.
Packt Udemy courses continue this tradition, bringing you comprehensive yet concise video courses straight from the experts.