Building Cloud Infrastructure with Terraform
What you'll learn
- Create Infrastructure in AWS and other cloud providers using Terraform
- Learn fundamental Terraform syntax
- Configure Terraform providers for different Cloud Service Providers
- Understand how to use variables, interpolations, and templates
- Package Terraform code into re-usable modules
- Bootstrap compute resources using Terraform Provisioners
- Manage Terraform state both local and remote using AWS object storage
- Familiarity with cloud computing concepts, particularly infrastructure as a service and software defined networking.
- Experience using the Windows console or Linux shell.
Cloud computing has taken over the IT landscape and is soon to outpace on-premise and in-house data centers as companies are starting to realize the efficiencies, cost savings, and flexibility the cloud can provide. Computing resources can be created and destroyed simply by calling an API. Entire virtual data centers can be created in a matter of minutes or hours.
Whether your company or application was born in the cloud or transitioning to the cloud, you need tools to build and manage your infrastructure. Terraform from Hashicorp is one such tool that allows you to declare infrastructure as code in a simple, easy to understand language.
Managing your infrastructure as code bridges the gap between dev and ops and provides an opportunity to include infrastructure management as part of the development lifecycle. When environments are declared in code they can be shared and used across your organization to provide consistent environments that align with your production environment.
Managing infrastructure as code also provides a far more robust process for managing and tracking infrastructure since these processes can now be incorporated into CI/CD tooling and other automation processes.
In this course I will teach you the fundamentals of Terraform using Amazon Web Services as an example. Together we will walk through the basics of Terraform and ultimately create real infrastructure in AWS along the way.
This course makes use of the AWS Free Tier which offers the general public a certain number of FREE computing hours and storage space for one year. It is recommended that students sign up for an AWS Free Tier account.
Udemy and the author of this course are not liable for any cloud service provider charges you may incur while executing the exercises in this course.
Who this course is for:
- Anyone interested in building infrastructure in the cloud using code.
Chris has over 15 years of software development, architecture and IT management experience in defense and commercial industries with a focus on enterprise and cloud architectures. He has consulted as an architect and sales consultant with companies such as Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Raytheon, and Oracle on the implementation and use of Oracle Fusion Middleware products including Oracle WebLogic Server, SOA Suite, and Identity and Access Management. He received his undergraduate and graduate degrees in Computer Science and Systems Engineering from Rensselaer Polytechnic University in Troy, NY and Penn State University respectively. Chris resides with his beautiful family in Denver, Colorado USA.