Building a "Snac-Man" Arcade Style Game In Unity
- 2.5 hours on-demand video
- 1 article
- 2 downloadable resources
- Full lifetime access
- Access on mobile and TV
- Certificate of Completion
Get your team access to 4,000+ top Udemy courses anytime, anywhere.Try Udemy for Business
- Build a full dot-eater classic arcade style game using C# and the Unity game engine
- Learn how to create a fully playable, animated character using Unity
- Develop enemy pathfinding AI logic that lets the enemies chase the player through the maze
- Create power-ups that give the user bonus points and let the user eat enemies for a short period of time
- Code a scoring system that keeps track of high score across play sessions
- Take your game development and C# skills to the next level using professional Object-Oriented game programming techniques
- Write a progressive level system
- Create an animated cutscene using Unity’s animation tools like the Animator and Timeline Editor
This video will introduce Section 2: Downloading and Installing Unity. By the end of this lecture you will have an overview of what we will do in this section and an understanding of this section's learning objectives.
In this video we will look at an overview of the project we are going to create in this course. By the end of this lecture you will understand the game mechanics we are going to implement and be ready to jump into developing the game.
This video will introduce Section 3: Start Developing the Game. By the end of this lecture you will have an overview of what we will do in this section and an understanding of this section's learning objectives.
This video will cover laying out the UI for the main part of the game. By the end of this lecture you will be ready to start building upon this foundation and getting things functioning.
In this video we will code the side portal logic for our game to allow the user to teleport to the other end of the maze. By the end of this lecture the side portal logic for the game will be fully functional, and the player will be able to jump back and forth in the maze by going through these portals!
In this video we will set up a level progression system that will change the boards to different colors each time we clear a board. By the end of this lecture you will understand how to keep track of levels in the games that you build and do useful things with the level information.
In this video we will create the settings screen that lets the user choose the number of lives and also the amount of points to get an extra life. By the end of this lecture you will understand how to create a settings screen and link it to the internal workings of the game to let the user input custom data into the game.
In this video we will play through the final product. By the end of this lecture you will enjoy the full game that we built in this tutorial.
- Basic Unity and C# knowledge is a plus, but not required
- A Windows computer, Linux machine, or a Mac (all software in the course is free and installation is explained step-by-step)
- Excitement and enthusiasm about game development
This course will walk you through building an entire video game hands-on, and will take you step-by-step through the game development process.
Are you a fan of classic arcade dot-eater games? Want to learn how to make a “Snac-Man” character that can go through a maze gaining points, evading enemies, and clearing boards? Are you motivated to take your Unity and C# skills to the next level? Then this course is for you.
As a beginner, one of the hardest things about game development is knowing where to start and building a full game project. Understandably, this process can be a bit overwhelming for beginners. This course is meant to give you a hands-on, beginner-friendly approach to building a fun arcade-style game that you will be proud of. By developing the project featured in this course, you will be learning techniques that you can apply to your own personal game projects. Some of the core game development techniques this course will teach you are:
Keeping track of current score
Saving high score permanently across play sessions
Writing code to make the character move
Developing enemy AI with pathfinding capabilities
Building a progressive level system
Keeping track of the game state internally
Event driven programming
Creating animated cut scenes
Making a settings screen that lets the user customize elements of the gameplay
Essential C# game development skills such as obtaining user input, invoking actions, listening for events, utilizing PlayerPrefs to save game data across multiple sessions, creating an Editor script, and more!
By the end of this course, you will have a full game project you developed from the ground up! You will also have some more C# tips and tricks that you can add to your arsenal. If you want to learn game development or are aspiring to build a career in the game industry, then this course is for you!
- Anyone excited about building a classic arcade-style game
- Anyone that wants to improve their Unity and C# skills
- Beginners that want to build a full game step-by-step and have something cool that they can play and learn from