Building a Creative Startup: Foundations of Entrepreneurship
What you'll learn
- Know how to align your company with your personal purpose
- Find the right business model for your company
- Understand the importance of core values and how to uncover these foundations of your company
- Know the unique aspects and implications of "staying small" or "going big", and make an informed decision that fits your situation
- Gain valuable management skills to get a grip on business operations
- Understand the foundations of metrics, cashflow prognosis, and strategic planning
- Have a solid foundation of the underlying principles of entrepreneurship
- There are no hard prerequisites, however it helps if you know the basics of business software, such as Microsoft Office or Google Apps.
Build the startup of your dreams!
This course provides you with a strong understanding of the underlying principles of entrepreneurship, and gives you the most important tools you need to succeed with your creative startup.
You learn how to align your company with your personal purpose. You will understand the importance of core values and finding the right business model, and how to uncover these foundations of your company. You will learn about the mindset that a business owner needs to have, while staying close to your personal values.
We'll dive into the unique aspects and implications of "staying small" or "going big", and why this is an important choice. You will be able to make an informed decision that's best for your situation and goals.
This course teaches valuable management skills to get a better grip on your business operations. You will get a solid introduction to practical tools such as:
- metrics (to get a clear picture of where you stand)
- the cashflow prognosis (giving a better grip on your finances)
- the one page strategic plan (which streamlines your decision making processes)
This course combines experience with practical examples through interviews with professionals in the game industry. This course includes interviews with:
- Diederik Groesbeek (Founder of Xform Games, known for Super Man or Monster)
- Vincent van Geel (Freelance Creative Director and Producer, worked on March of War and the Iron Grip games)
Who this course is for:
- Founders with a creative or technical background, for example artists, designers, programmers, writers, or similar.
- People looking to start a creative company
Game Garden Academy is a portfolio of online video courses about game business for starting game developers and students. Game Garden Academy covers a range of topics that developers have to deal with today: marketing, PR, monetization, funding, publishing, team composition, and more. Speakers with years of experience in the video games industry share their expertise and give hands-on tips & tricks to up your game when it comes to entrepreneurship. Game Garden Academy focuses on providing practical examples and personal stories instead of dry statistics. With these courses, developers have a solid basis to do business in the volatile, ever-changing games industry.
Game Garden Academy is set up by Dutch Game Garden. We host the largest gamedev hub in the Netherlands, and have housed over 130 game companies. Besides providing studio space, we organize numerous events for the development community: talks, workshops, network activities, and showcases. We also provide advice, matchmaking, and a startup support program that helps promising game startups with individual coaching, workshops, and lectures.
Our mission is, simply put, to help game developers become more successful. We believe the games industry harbors incredible talent. Making a living and surviving as a company is extremely challenging, however. Since 2008, we have closely worked with over 75 game startups, earning a ton of valuable information about how game studios work, their strengths and their pitfalls. We’ve seen teams fail, we’ve seen teams become wildly successful, we’ve seen teams simply survive. From those experiences, there’s a lot of lessons learned that we’d like to share with you in these courses.
Derk is an entrepreneur and game developer based in The Netherlands. In 2005, he co-founded Paladin Studios, an independent game development studio with a mission to "make people smile - be it a sweet twinkle, loud laugh, or evil grin". He is now its CEO.
With a background in design and animation, and a bit of self-taught programming and audio, Derk is a creative at heart. He is however deeply curious when it comes to human nature, business and leadership skills, and is on a continuous journey to improve himself and his company.
Onwards, to ever more adventures!