Build a Cucumber Playwright TypeScript Automation Framework
What you'll learn
- Setting up your local development environment.
- Build and run our own locally running react application.
- Creating our first automation test with cucumber, playwright and typescript.
- Executing your automation test on your locally running application.
- Deep dive into our first test and understand tagging, regex, step linking, cucumber params, element locators, developer tools and hooks.
- Developing our understanding of Browser, Context and Page.
- Adding your own unique element identifiers to the application code to enable more automation scenarios.
- Setting up our automation framework to produce screenshots on test failure.
- Implement Cucumber World to enable us to pass global variable and configuration within each scenarios separated context.
- Leverage ENV files for better environment variable management.
- Implement dynamic test configuration to provide more flexibility when running our cucumber scenarios.
- Defining our element, page and host mappings in page specific .json files.
- Introduce our own custom waitFor() function to add stability to our automation framework.
- Adding a common ENV file to house all our common configuration across our automation framework.
- Setup cucumber html reporter to report on our test suite results.
- Reuse our waitFor to help stabilise and validate page has loaded before moving onto the next step.
- Use the amazing debugging tools that Playwright provides, like Playwright Inspector.
- Advanced chrome developer tool learnings like console logs and break points.
- Automating Links, Buttons and Elements at specific index.
- Automating Tables and asserting on an exact match between our Cucumber DataTable and the UI.
- Automating Switches, Cards & Avatars.
- Automating Drop Down Menus and Select Boxes.
- Adding the ability to refresh our page during an automation test.
- Automating Browser Alerts, Page Alerts and Tooltips.
- Automating Text Areas and Hidden & Visible Text.
- Automating stored values and expected values.
- Preparing our automation suite for production Automation Suite Runs.
- Running our automation on a production environment.
- Storing login details in environment specific ENV files.
- Leverage Example Tables from Cucumber to run scenarios on specific environments.
- Emulate devices for our automation suite to run on leveraging Playwright Devices.
- Introduce the ability to customise our console logs for errors, logs and debug and off.
- Adding the ability to customise our automation failure errors.
- Develop our own waitForSelector function that better integrated with our waitFor function.
- Refactor our assertion and interaction steps for better stability and consistency.
- Leverage random data in our automation suite form steps.
- Demonstrate how quickly automation can be added with our world class automation framework.
- Tagging our suite for @smoke and @regression in preparation for CI.
- Learn to intercept responses with playwright and mock out our own custom responses.
- Implement an accessibility automation testing suite across our react application.
- Produce detailed accessibility improvement reports as well as fix some issues ourselves.
- Pushing our project containing our automation framework & Suite to GitHub.
- Setting up our local machine as a build agent in preparation to run our automation tests in CI.
- Get our automation tests running on pull request and in CI (Continuous Integration)
- Postman - Collections - Requests and Responses (GET, PUT, POST, PATCH, DELETE)
- API Automation Test with Playwright (Automate GET, PUT, POST, PATCH, DELETE)
- Develop and grow your understanding of TypeScript across the entirety of the course.
- Implement Advanced Object Orientated Design Patterns and Separation of Concerns.
- The course has been designed to take you from beginner to expert in building a world class automation framework.
- You can complete this entire course on MAC, Windows on Linux.
--- Latest Update ---
API Automation Testing with Playwright - Learn how to automate (GET, PUT, POST, PATCH, DELETE) across your API's.
This course has been designed to simulate a real-world experience in building a Cucumber, Playwright & TypeScript automation framework from the ground up for a fully-featured application.
Upon completion, you will be able to apply your learnings and the automation framework you have built into your respective companies and projects. We are confident you will become an expert in building a world-class automation framework.
Our course and the automation framework we will build together has been developed with guidance from some of the globes leading testing and software engineering professionals and because of that we believe we can offer an incredible course where we will:
- Develop your automation framework against a real react application running on your local machine.
- Build an end-to-end automation framework from the ground up for a full-featured end-to-end react application.
- Evolve your skills and continuously improve your automation framework as we progress through the course
- Learn how to build an object-orientated – engineer reviewed and approved automation framework.
- Learn how to create a playwright API automation suite (GET, PUT, POST, PATCH, DELETE)
We want this course to be the best decision you have ever made for your personal growth when it comes to improving your knowledge and skills in test automation framework architecture.
Across 176 lectures, 21 Quizzes and 26 hours of exciting content I will be at the bottom right of your screen instructing and cheering you along throughout the course. You will have everything you need to learn how to build a world-class automation framework.
Who this course is for:
- Automation Engineers
- Software Testers
- Software Engineers
- IT Professionals
I began my career as a software engineer working across iOS and Web. During this time I discovered a passion for ensuring what we develop is being delivered with quality and speed to our customers. I followed this passion and shifted my career to focus on improving the quality function.
Some Highlights from my career to date include:
- Top nominee for Best Agile Test Team in the world (A global competition - judged by our peers) - we were alongside such global companies as Google, Microsoft and Amazon.
- Grown and expanded a QA Practice from (3 testers - 6 projects) to an Enterprise-wide function with over 100+ testers across - 64 high-level projects.
- Produced incredible quality and automation testing results that lead to investment, project growth, and expansion in the quality function.
- Supported a culture of embedding QA's in projects - Creating experts of championing world-leading quality best practices among the team.
- Ran and organised automation training sessions to up-skill, retain our talent and support our automation goals (Playwright, Espresso, Cucumber, Protractor, Cypress, Detox and XCUITEST)
- Created and empowered a collaborative monthly meet-up across projects called Back to Practice - This session brought together teams to generate ideas and tasks for future sprints that helped us improve the quality function and drive automation improvements.
- Introduce community events + skills & learning (Scheduled training, Brown bags, Automation Syncs, Sprint Showcases & Team Catch-ups).
- Introduced Exploratory Testing methods (Bug Bashes, Mob Testing & Cross-Platform Testing)
- Collaborate and support team to Significantly increase the total amount of automation tests (across the test pyramid) executed daily in CI.
- Automation (developed by testers and developers) correctly executing in CI - on pull request - passing before merge to develop/master codebase.
- Globally recognised QA Leader on social media and influencer in the technology industry.
- Represented the team's QA Transformation and achievements at conferences and events both locally and abroad.
- Engineering leadership and level of understanding of automation frameworks & systems - developed from working across projects on the tool with the team.
- Proven engineering leadership on implementation of new automation framework with the team.
- Founded Testing Talks Conference, Testing Talks Hub and Testing Talks Online - Passion project(s) to create a fun event for all; to share, learn and reconnect in-person (and online).