Build a Business That You Can Sell
- 30 mins on-demand video
- 4 downloadable resources
- Full lifetime access
- Access on mobile and TV
- Certificate of Completion
Get your team access to 4,000+ top Udemy courses anytime, anywhere.Try Udemy for Business
- Know what it takes to build a business you can sell
- Understand how selling your business can help you achieve a freedom lifestyle
- Identify who needs to be on your team of advisors to help sell your business
- Students should be familiar with basic business planning.
- Issues related to employment benefits and other employee issues are not covered
Many of us chose to start a business to create a lifestyle of freedom and passion. Too often we realize too late that somehow we ended up trading one job for another.
If you're still trading your time for dollars - if you don't have systems in place - if you ARE the business, then you're really not building a business. You're creating a job that no one is going to want.
And that's a problem.
You see, I've worked with owners who got sick. Or others who needed to move to a new area. Or some who just decided they needed to change careers.
But they had little options.
It's said in the business brokering industry (these are folks who buy / sell businesses every day) that 4 out of 5 businesses don't sell.
In reality it's been my own personal experience that the numbers are more like 9 out of 10. And worst of all it typically takes 6 to 8 months to sell a business - that's one that DOES sell.
We're going to cover -
- What is the one site you do NOT want to advertise your business for sale
- Make sure you have this document signed or you may just lose your business
- How can you make that you get the most value for your hard work
and much more!
Since 2006, I've been helping business owners with their planning and strategy. Over the years I've learned that these hard working folks really do support our economy. But unfortunately it also means that they often don't benefit from their hard work because they are missing just a few key pieces of the puzzle.
Now it's my job to help entrepreneurs and small business owners to see how their business isn't just a way to serve their customers. But it can also serve as a vehicle to reach the success and freedom that they've always dreamed of.
This course is for educational purposes only. Everyone should seek legal and financial advice from professional advisers. (Photo: Ramin Hossaini)
- This course is for entrepreneurs who are building their startups.
- Small business owners will learn how to make sure their business will help them achieve their financial goals.
Just a few words on why this course is so important to all entrepreneurs and small business owners.
(Please see attached outline.)
What We Don't Cover in This Course
- M&A - Mergers & Acquisition; this gets into some securities discussions and things that apply only to a few folks.
- Specialized businesses, e.g. medical / legal practices - there's more here than we can cover in this course
- Pure asset sales such as liquidation or forced sales requires an appraisal expert
We will only briefly mention: customers, employees, and partner.
Learn how to answer the #1 question of business owners and understand what matters to buyers. Avoid the worst place to try & sell your business. Don't make this mistake that can lose your business.
Learn what are some key considerations. When is a good time to get an appraisal? What is the difference between an appraisal and an "opinion of value" or valuation report? Does an appraisal tell me how much my business is worth? How do we use "multiples" in deciding the value of my business? When is the best time to sell a business? When is the worst time to sell?
Who are the key advisors you need? What are their roles? How will they help you get the most for the sale of your business?
Thanks again for making it this far - well done!
Be sure to stay in touch and discuss what you're learning.
If you have questions that other students may benefit from learning, please share it in the Discussion section.
Feel free to reach out to me and let me know how I can help you on your entrepreneur's journey!