Learn the British English Accent / Speak Modern RP
What you'll learn
- Transform your accent into Modern RP English
- Speak with an English Accent
- Understand all the sounds of English (vowels, diphthongs, consonants)
- Reduce your accent and sound like a native
- Listen carefully to accents of real people
- Build confidence in your speaking
- Develop your own daily practice routine
- Access to smartphone/tablet/computer with an internet connection
- Basic understanding of English Language
- A strong desire to learn
Welcome to the Modern RP course. Discover the sounds of the British English Modern RP (Received Pronunciation) Accent. Learn real tips and tricks from a native English Teacher with 10+ years of teaching experience. There are lots of practical homework exercises to help explore the sounds of English, reduce your accent and sound more like a native English Speaker. Learn to communicate clearly and confidently in English.
You are all welcome in my classroom - this is a safe environment that encourages play and fun, with real results!
I hope you enjoy the course, and follow my advice to develop a clear and confident English accent.
• Part 1: Introduction - meet your instructor and discover the outline of the course.
• Part 2: The Anatomy of Speech - learn about the different parts of the mouth, the articulators.
• Part 3: Sounds of English: Vowels
• Part 4: Sounds of English: Consonants
• Part 5: Beyond Consonants and Vowels (linking, tone, rhythm, intonation)
• Part 6: Short stories read by Darren (the Noth Wind and the Sun, The Boy who Cried Wolf, The Selfish Giant)
Although the video sections are quite short, they are accompanied by PDF documents and small quizzes. In time there will be additional resources added to the course, so don't be shy in sending me requests. Your purchase includes a money-back guarantee from Udemy and also lifetime access.
Below are some common questions I get asked:
Why do I have an accent?
Everyone has an accent. There is not one accent that is better than another. Students of English often come to me for help so that they can be understood better. As Trevor Noah said: “an accent is simply someone speaking your language with the rules of theirs”. Very true.
Why soften my accent?
There are a few different reasons, below are some of the most common I have been told:
• People tend to make a judgement about us and can make personal and professional prejudices.
• A strong accent may give the impression that the speaker has a lower language level than they actually possess. In interviews and meetings where first impressions count, this can sometimes leave the person at a disadvantage.
• A strong accent, even if accompanied by a wide vocabulary and perfect grammar, may prevent understanding from other listeners. Remember, when you speak it is for the benefit of other people to understand you.
How will it feel to change my accent?
Working on changing your accent is going to be different to grammar or vocabulary development. Change the way you speak, and people are going to respond to you differently.
See you in class!
Who this course is for:
- Intermediate/Advanced English Language Speakers
Born in Oxford and raised in the South-East of England, Darren has been working as an English Teacher for both adults and children across Europe and Russia. With 10+ years of experience preparing students for exams, interviews and common daily situations Darren is a qualified and experienced teacher. Darren has a clear Modern RP English Accent, speaks French, Russian and Portuguese. He practices a healthy lifestyle and always see the positive in any situation. Darren's pedagogic approach is to help provide a supportive environment, helping guide the student while focussing on relevant content to their life.