Solution-Focused Brief Therapy
What you'll learn
- Use solution-focused techniques and ideas to shape outcome oriented conversations with others.
- Understand the purpose of a variety of techniques associated with the solution-focused approach and apply them.
- Collaborate with clients for more effective therapeutic outcomes
- Understand how to work briefly with clients in any situation.
- Help clients identify and built on their strengths and resources.
- Reduce wasted hours by make each session count towards positive change.
- No special materials or prior knowledge necessary - everything is provided.
- Willingness to learn and openness to fresh ideas.
- Natural curiosity about what makes solution-focused therapy and coaching so effective.
Solution-Focused Brief Therapy (SFBT) is an approach to conversations that empowers both helpers and those they help. The approach brings with it a wealth of easily learned and adaptable techniques that will enhance your skills, in any professional context.
This course uses video lectures and will be of use if your work involves helping people tackle some aspect of their lives that has become problematic.
The concise video lessons in this course are supported by 'live session' video clips that both illustrate the techniques and demonstrate the effectiveness of SFBT in action. Each section is supported by a quiz to consolidate your learning, and there are downloadable PDFs and exercises to help you become more practised and confident in using solution-focused skills in your conversations.
Who is it for?
Maybe your job is formally recognised as part of the helping professions because it involves supporting people (e.g. HR, social work, counselling or psychiatry).
Or perhaps you work or volunteer in a wider group which includes roles like advocacy, charity and aid work, the law, mediation, medicine, occupational health, probation, physiotherapy, social work, teaching, and many others.
Your primary role is not seen as caring or support, but your daily routine inevitably involves helping people in crisis or distress. You are one of many ‘informal helpers’ who use the same skills as the first group – essentially these are the skills of counselling – yet you have had little or no training to develop their helping skills.
Who this course is for:
- People who support, guide, coach or mentor others. This course is aimed at what is broadly called the 'helping professions'.
- Social work, human resources, teaching, counselling, psychotherapy, nursing, therapy, advocacy, mediation, support work.
- Experienced therapists and coaches seeking an effective, briefer approach to working with clients.
- Student therapists who are curious about solution-focused techniques.
At Skill Boosters we work with leading subject matter experts to design, develop and deliver effective video based training for the workplace. We are passionate about delivering impactful training which helps to build productive, tolerant and inclusive individuals, teams and workplaces and which improves lives and life chances.
Our courses combine video drama, expert analysis, documentary sequences and interactive study to provide flexible, cost-effective training that engages, informs and inspires our learners.
Skill Boosters courses and resources are trusted by many of the world's leading organisations to develop and improve the skills and behaviours of their people.
BARRY WINBOLT MSc. is a psychologist, therapist and coach.
For more than 25 years he has advised people in many cultures on how to
improve their wellbeing and relationships to enhance the quality of their lives. Over the same period he has provided training and coaching for personal and professional development.