Breaking Free from the Anger Trap
What you'll learn
- You will be able to identify the purpose of anger, recognizing how it is tied to hurt, the yearning for significance, and the craving for needs to be met. Knowing what anger actually is, you will then be positioned to match your use of anger with your goal of living inside mutually respectful relationships.
- You will become proficient in identifying the damaging effects of suppressed anger, then choosing more honest and constructive means of letting your needs be known.
- You will understand the drive behind aggressive anger so you can resist the temptation to belittle, demean, and invalidate. You will be given the tools enabling you to be in control without being controlling.
- You will be provided strategies for transforming a passive anger model of deceitful expressiveness into a direct, specific, and supportive method of communicating your needs.
- You will be equipped with several tools for providing beneficial assertiveness so that your anger will be communicated in a way that allows others to keep their dignity intact, just as you will maintain dignity in the expression of anger.
- You will be given rational structures that allow the effective release of anger in such a way as to enable your mind to pursue higher priorities such as acceptance, patience, and understanding resulting in a new and revitalized mental perspective.
- You will be able to quickly and accurately identify angry energy being used in situations that may harm your own, as well as others psychological well-being, not to mention critically sabotaging your success personally and professionally.
- You will be able to let go of bitterness, realizing that clinging to a bitter attitude is akin to drinking poison in the hope that it will kill the other person. You will be challenged instead to move on to higher priorities such as mercy and tolerance.
- Be honest with yourself about the possibility that you might be mismanaging your anger.
Chances are, you already know how destructive anger can be. Relationships can be destroyed by it and personalities can be poisoned with it. Most angry people do not want to be that way, but they have never been taught how to think differently to act differently.
During this course you will become aware of the important distinctions between constructive and destructive uses of anger. You will also be challenged to use the tools provided in this course to adjust your egotism, your control tendencies, your emotional insecurities, and your adversarial patterns.
By the end of this course you will not only have acquired a valuable understanding of the practical behaviors associated with a healthy and proactive anger management, but also the essential tools for creating a mindset and attitude that will transform your anger from a destructive disposition into a new personal presence that will impart genuine personal and relational success.
Who this course is for:
- Anyone who feels that they, or someone they live with, habitually mismanage their anger.
With 35+ years experience and over 60,000 counseling sessions, Dr. Les Carter speaks with the practical wisdom of one who truly understands what it takes to elevate individuals to relationship success.
Dr. Carter maintains an active counseling practice in Southlake, Texas and is the best selling author of 20 books including the Anger Trap and Enough About You, Let’s Talk About Me that have been translated into 10 languages.
Dr. Carter is the host of MarriagePath Radio, a weekly national podcast that moves individuals and couples beyond the teaching of simple skills to utilizing emotions and behaviors in such a way that powerfully shapes life habits so that real change happens.
Dr. Carter is well known for his nationally renowned seminars and workshops.