Brazilian Portuguese - Making Social Contact
- No knowledge of Brazilian Portuguese required
After you take this course you will...
1. Be able to start a conversation with a Brazilian with confidence, by learning the key phrases and structures that are part of everyday, colloquial conversation (with downloadable PDF notes)
2. Be able to speak 'real' Brazilian Portuguese by learning some crucial pronunciation tips and tricks that will make you sound more fluent.
3. Be able to understand Brazilians better, by knowing the most common phrases used by Brazilians in colloquial conversation and how they actually speak in real life (as opposed to contrived course book conversation examples).
Brazilian Portuguese - Making Social Contact includes five lessons:
LESSON 1: GREETINGS
The most common, formal and informal, greetings in Brazil.
How to reply to greetings.
When to use bem (well) and bom (good).
LESSON 2: ASKING HOW SOMEONE IS
How to say how you are and ask how someone is using the verb estar (to be).
Difference between the verbs estar and ser (the two Portuguese verbs for 'to be').
Words to describe how you are.
LESSON 3: INTRODUCING YOURSELF
How to ask someone's name and how to say your name.
Different ways of saying 'Nice to meet you'.
LESSON 4: SAYING THANK YOU
Different ways of expressing gratitude.
How to say 'You're welcome'.
LESSON 5: SAYING GOODBYE
Different ways of saying goodbye.
Who this course is for:
- People who want to get started in Brazilian Portuguese
Fernando is a Brazilian Portuguese Teacher, Translator & Interpreter based in London.
He visited London as a tourist and liked it so much that he moved back to become a Portuguese teacher. Today he is member of the Chartered Institute of Linguists in London, and has already helped many people speak and understand Brazilian Portuguese.
Fernando Nonohay also has a blog, Fun with Brazilian Portuguese, which is a great source for anyone learning Brazilian Portuguese as a foreign language. You will find vocabulary booster games and posts not only on grammar, idioms and expressions, but also about Brazilian culture and videos of Brazilian songs.