Blood Pressure Control- A Map to Medication Freedom.
What you'll learn
- By the end of this course, you will understand what lifestyle therapies can significantly lower blood pressure.
- You will gain a deeper understanding of what high blood pressure is and how it impacts health.
- You will learn how to use a home blood pressure measuring device correctly.
- You will learn the significant role nutrition has in lowering blood pressure.
- You will learn where sodium is hidden in foods and how much sodium you should have daily
- You will learn tips on how to prepare low sodium, yummy food.
- In this course, you will learn how much potassium, magnesium, and calcium you should have daily
- You will learn how to prepare delicious foods high in magnesium and potassium
- You will learn appropriate weight loss techniques to lower blood pressure as significantly as medication
- You will learn how to prepare beans and nuts that are more digestive friendly!
- You will learn about the health benefits of cocoa!
- You will learn how to use biofeedback devices and how this might benefit you
- You will learn some basic yoga techniques
- You will learn deep breathing exercises and its blood pressure benefits.
- You will learn about the pros and cons of alcohol for your health.
- Book- 'Blood Pressure Down' by Janet Bond Brill PhD,RD,LDN. 2013, Three Rivers Press. ISBN 9780307986351
- Udemy.com Account (free)
- Adobe Flash Player 10.0.22+ plug-in Firefox 1.1+, Internet Explorer 9, Safari 1.0+, Google Chrome*, or Opera Broadband connection with 500+ Kbps
- Body Weight Scale
- Accurate Blood Pressure Self-Measuring Device
- Labs drawn by your physician within 6 months of beginning course and within 2 weeks of completion. Labs to draw- LDL,HDL, C-Reactive Protein, Triglyceride, Fasting Blood Sugar, and Fibrinogen
This is a self-led 8 week course designed to help adults lower their blood pressure. This course goes way beyond 'eat less salt and lose weight'. It will help you understand the many facets of food that can significantly lower your blood pressure whether or not you are on blood pressure lowering medication.
The 'textbook' for this course is Blood Pressure Down- The 10-Step Plan To Lower Your Blood Pressure In 4 Weeks Without Prescription Drugs, by Janet Bond Brill PhD,RD,LDN.
Each week reviews a unique lifestyle therapy. You will learn how to embrace each lifestyle change by reading, watching a video lecture, taking a review quiz, and best of all, watching 'how to' videos!
The 'how to' videos include cooking demonstrations featuring Chef Mark Ferrante and Registered Dietitian Georgia Boley. Whether it is soy, greens, beans, or chocolate, together we will show you how to prepare delicious blood-pressure lowering foods. All recipes will be provided!
To monitor your improved blood pressure progress through the course, a registered nurse will demonstrate how to take your blood pressure properly and accurately from home.
To further help lower your blood pressure, there are video demonstrations using biofeedback measuring devices and guided imagery with health coach Amy Steel.
Last but not least- this course includes basic deep breathing and yoga demonstrations presented by certified yoga instructors Michele Fritz and Evelyn Ferrante.
If you strongly desire to use food as your medicine instead of prescriptions, this is a course for you.
(Note- this course is not intended as a replacement or alternative to medical advice from your doctor. If you have any specific questions about any medical matter, you should consult your doctor. If you think you may be suffering from any medical condition, you should seek immediate medical attention. You should never delay seeking medical advice, disregard medical advice or discontinue medical treatment because of information in this course. Individuals with high blood pressure should first consult with their personal physician before making any of the lifestyle changes suggested in this course).
Who this course is for:
- adults with prehypertension or hypertension motivated to make lifestyle therapies their first line of treatment
- adults interested in how diet, exercise, and stess management affect blood pressure
- adults interested in cooking demonstrations and recipes that help lower blood pressure
Georgia Boley began private nutrition consulting in 2010, and has recently expanded to open a private consulting business.
Georgia is a registered dietitian with 15 years of clinical nutrition experience. Worksite history includes the Cleveland VAMC, University Hospital Case Medical Center in Cleveland OH, Sheridan VAMC, Sheridan Memorial Hospital, Welch Cancer Center, and Westview Life Care Centers of America.
In addition to private consulting, Georgia teaches nutrition classes at Sheridan Community College and is the dietitian at Sheridan Senior Center.
Georgia received her bachelor’s at the University of Wyoming. She completed her master’s and dietetic internship at Case Western Reserve University and Cleveland V.A. Medical Center in Cleveland, Ohio.
Georgia is a registered dietitian (RD), and licensed dietitian (LD) in Wyoming. She was a Certified Diabetes Educator (CDE) from 2000 to 2005 and currently is a Board Certified Specialist in Oncology Nutrition (CSO) from the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (AND- formerly known as American Dietetic Association).
Georgia currently is in her fourth year of teaching as an adjunct at Northwest Community College in Sheridan Wyoming. She teaches Nutrition for Healthcare as well as Introduction to Sports Nutrition.
Georgia has frequently been a key speaker for public nutrition presentations and at conferences, including the Wyoming Annual Certified Dietary Manager Meetings and for the Wyoming Cancer Care Symposium.
Georgia’s private practice services include nutrition counseling for an array of nutrition issues, particularly for sports, cardiovascular, wellness, and gastrointestinal health. Other services include nutrigenomix testing (eating according to your genes), kitchen clean-out, and grocery guidance. In addition, her website offers free nutrition tips including a blog and youtube videos updated quarterly. For more information check out www.tailorednutritionllc.com.
Health Insurance Credentials
Georgia is credentialed with Wyoming BC/BS, Aetna, United Health Care, EBMS, and Cigna.
- 4.3 Instructor Rating
- 26 Reviews
- 305 Students
- 1 Course
Mark Ferrante is a professonal chef with over 15 years experience in the culinary field. Chef Ferrante has been employed in a wide variety of settings in the industry including hotels, private restaurants, and golf and country clubs. Chef Ferrante is a Certified Executive Chef throught the American Culinary Federation and is currently Executive Chef at Skyline at First Hill. A high end multifaceted retirement and healthcare facility in Seattle, WA.
Chef Ferrante earned his Associtates Degee in Culinary Arts from The Art Institute of Houston in June 1998. Prior to this, he earned a Bachelor of Arts degree in Criminal Justice from The University of Texas at San Antonio.
Chef Ferrante obtained his Certified Executive Chef ceritification through the American Culinary Federation (ACF) in May 2009. He has also won several gold and silver medals in ACF sanctioned culinary competitions including The Taste of San Antonio, an international culinary event, and A Taste of Elegance, sponsored by the National Pork Board.
Chef Ferrante has served as adjuct culinary instructor at The Wyoming Culinary Acadamy at Sheridan Junior College in Sheridan, WY.
Chef Ferrante has participated in televisionspots for KENS-TV in San Antonio, TX., many public cooking demonstrations and has guided numorous cooking classes. He has privately catered several functions for community non-profit organizations including Habitat for Humanity and Reproductive Health Care of The Bighorns.