Blockchain for Healthcare
- Basic understanding of how the healthcare system works in the USA
Blockchain technology has been used to implement digital currency systems (Bitcoin and others), smart contract systems (Ethereum), and is under active exploration as a potentially transformational technology in finance, government, and healthcare.
This course provides a non-technical overview of blockchain to facilitate a discussion on how this technology may impact the healthcare industry.
Key topics include
- Blockchain properties
- Healthcare Costs
- Healthcare Quality
- Healthcare Value
- Challenges for using blockchain for healthcare data
- Healthcare professionals
- Healthcare administrators
- Blockchain developers
- Blockchain investors
- Anyone curious about the potential role of blockchain in healthcare
- Blockchain and Healthcare Costs13:01
- Blockchain and Healthcare Quality06:31
- Blockchain and Healthcare Value05:12
- Barriers to the use of blockchain in Healthcare08:06
I am an associate professor and hospitalist at Southern Illinois University School of Medicine in Springfield, Illinois and the recipient of the general internal medicine teacher of the year award for my first year on the faculty.
In 2012, I created the first Business in Medicine course at SIU as a 4th year medical school elective. Over time, this course evolved from a face to face flipped classroom course to a MOOC hosted on Udemy with over 5,000 participants worldwide.