Blender Materials Series 1.2 The Process Of UV Mapping
What you'll learn
- What Uv Mapping is used for
- Where to locate Uv maps
- How to apply a texture to a material using Uvs
- Generate placeholder textures to preview how a texture may look on your model
- Create maps of any shape by understanding the process of seam marking
- Export a Uv map layout to create textures externally and then reimport back into Blender
- Students should know how to create basic materials in Blender
- Awareness of how to use the node editor to add new modes to materials
- Completing material series volume 1.1 is recommended before starting this class
Welcome to this class on learning about the application of materials in Blender 3D. This is the second class in our material series and focuses on a process called UV mapping.
When creating a 3D object, we 1st of all create the model using various different object types, the most prominent of which is the mesh object. When you finish the modelling stage the next step is to create a material. Now if you want to use a single color then that's easy. But if you want multiple colors, text, additional images on your material, like on the cover of a book, then things get a bit more complicated.
So much so that Blender would struggle to interpret exactly how to apply your texture to the object. It needs to be guided to where you want that secondary color, or that book title, to end up on your model. That is where UV mapping comes in. It allows the artist to guide Blender by creating a UV map, a 2D representation of a 3D image. By mapping the model onto a 2D plane, you can then apply your image texture by using the UV map as the foundation.
By the end of this class students will be able to do the following....
Locate, Add, Delete and Name UV maps
Mark seams to control exactly HOW an object may be unwrapped
Understand the importance of avoiding stretched textures and how to preview using generated maps
Export UV layouts to other software and create more detailed textures before using them for the final model
We hope you enjoy this class on learning how to use UV maps to create better textures in Blender
Who this course is for:
- Blender users who are interested in using UV maps to apply accurate textures to their 3D models
Hello, my name is Joe Baily and I am a Udemy instructor who specialises in computer graphics software and sport coaching, quite a combination I know. I have been involved in computer graphics for several years where I have developed my skill sets in asset creation, 3D modelling, animation, game creation using tools such as Blender, Adobe, Gimp etc.
In addition I have also gained a great deal of knowledge in the field of computer coding with languages such as C++, java and HTML. On the flip side of this I have also worked as a sports coach as my official profession where I have worked in multiple environments from schools to sports clubs to summer camps. I have over 10 years experience in sport coaching and have coached football, tennis and athletics amongst many other sports.