Biochemistry: Learn Amino Acid and Protein Basics
What you'll learn
- Understand the properties of amino acids and their functions.
- Know the principles of different protein purification techniques.
- Learn about secondary and super-secondary structures
- Get an understanding of the principle and working of different protein structure determination techniques
- Learn the theories of protein folding and their experimental validation.
- To enroll in this course, all you need is some basic knowledge in chemistry.
Proteins are the workhorses inside the cell that carryout various functions such as metabolic reactions, provide structure to cells, transport oxygen, antibodies that fight infections, hormones and much more. The main building blocks of proteins are amino acids and they constitute the primary sequence information of the protein. Understanding the properties of amino acids and how they are arranged in different types of proteins can tell us a lot about the function of the protein.
In this course you’ll learn about
1. The 3 types of classification of amino acids
2. Learn how Ramachandran plot tells us about amino acid phi and psi angles that are involved in protein folding
3. Learn the step-by-step process of protein sequencing
4. Gain an understanding of the protein purification strategies
5. How NMR and X-ray crystallography techniques are used to study the 3D structure of proteins
This course contains has more than 2 hours of video content with 26 lectures explaining concepts pertaining to amino acids and proteins.
By the end of the course, you’ll be able to
· write the 3 and 1 letter code of amino acids,
· Identify R group of different amino acids
· Describe secondary and super secondary structures formed by proteins
· Calculate pH, pKa and pI values of amino acids
· Summarize the operating principles of X ray crystallography, NMR and circular dichroism
· Explain the principles of different protein purification strategies
· Describe protein folding theories that best explain protein folding inside the cells.
This course also contains bonus pdf files of content and a quiz towards the end of the lecture series to reinforce your learning. Anyone who wishes explore more about amino acids and proteins will benefit from this course.
This course is intended for purchase as an adult. Those under 18 may use this course only if a parent or guardian opens their account, handles any enrollments, and manages their account usage.
Who this course is for:
- This course is designed for college students who want to learn the basics of protein biochemistry
- This course is for those students who want to refresh their concepts on amino acids and proteins.
Science is my fascination. This has fueled my journey right from my Bachelors program, through the Masters and finally my PhD in Biotechnology (Kerala University, India). Over the years, I have donned myriad garbs of a student (I qualified CSIR -Council for Scientific and Industrial Research exam in 2008), researcher, lab-mate and senior, and have benefited from timely guidance, elaborate reading, and unexpected insights. The key to success has always been in grasping the bigger picture. I am passionate about passing on this experience through teaching. I believe that through this, my own learning and understanding skills can also be enhanced.