Best Practices for Volunteering Overseas
- If students are interested in volunteering their skills abroad they can go to MovingWorlds and sign up
- Be aware that this course is long but extremely important to understanding all things necessary when working in a different community
Volunteering overseas is a truly remarkable experience that will have a profound effect on you, and the people around you. Through this personal voyage it is worth taking the time to reflect on why you are doing this and what kind of impact you want to make. The MovingWorld’s Training covers:
- The State of Global Development and How You Can Help
- Preparing Yourself for an International Volunteering Experience
- Experteering Best Practices
- Cultural Sensitivity and Communication
- Tips and Resources for a Productive Planning Process
- How to Get the Most Out of Your Experience
Who this course is for:
- Early, mid, and late career professionals that want to give back
- Anyone who is interested in working in a different environment on a short project
- 01:38Introduction with Mark Horoszowski- MovingWorld's CoFounder
Mark is co-founder and CEO of MovingWorlds.org, a global platform that helps people volunteer their expertise with social impact organizations around the world, on their own or through corporate-sponsored programs. Since its launch in 2011, MovingWorlds.org has unleashed over 7 million dollars worth of professional skills across 60 countries. Mark has been featured in Harvard Business Review, Fast Company, Forbes, Stanford Social Innovation Reviews and many more as the founder of the "Experteering" movement. Mark also serves as Adjunct Faculty at University of Washington Tacoma's Center for Leadership and Social Responsibility and is a contributor at Huffington Post Impact. In his free time, Mark can be found spending time with his wife, skiing, and volunteering with the American Cancer Society co-chairing its nationwide volunteer leadership team.
Nafessa is currently the Director of Business Development at Bamba, a real-time web-based data-gathering platform that allows organizations to access, engage, and gain insight from hard to reach target populations in emerging markets on their mobile phones. In this role, Nafessa focuses on business development and strategic partnerships with impact-oriented organizations. Nafessa joined Bamba from MovingWorlds, where she was part of the founding team. There she focused specifically on the sustainability of global development projects, building cultural competency, and executing corporate volunteer programs, leading her to work directly with companies like Microsoft, helping them to drive impact and foster employee engagement. Nafessa’s previous work includes: global development projects and research in poverty alleviation (microfinance), women’s empowerment post sexual assault, and corporate volunteerism. Nafessa holds a dual Master’s in Global Public Health & Social Work focused on International Social Entrepreneurship from Columbia University.
Her work has taken her to live and work in Spain, India, Indonesia, and Kenya.
In her spare time, Nafessa is often found breaking into song and dance in public spaces in Washington, DC in order to fulfill her childhood Bollywood dream.
- 4.8 Instructor Rating
- 211 Reviews
- 7,195 Students
- 1 Course