Beginner Sewing: Making a Tote Bag
What you'll learn
- Safely operate a sewing machine
- Learn to customize a sewing pattern to make any size tote bag.
- Sew a tote bag with pockets and lining
- Understand and practice the fundamentals of sewing
- Student will need a sewing machine, iron, fabric and a willingness to learn a new skill.
- Student will need to collect some basic supplies before beginning the class.
Beginner Sewing: Making a Tote Bag is an introductory course to sewing meant to show you everything you need to know to safely operate a sewing machine. I will show you everything from machine to set up to the construction of a lined tote bag complete with two pockets.
Some lectures in this course are the same as in Beginner Sewing for Tweens and Teens, but the project is brand new and directed toward an adult.
Learn Basic Sewing Practices And Challenge Yourself to Create Your First Sewn Item
· Learn how to safely operate a sewing machine
· Practice basic stitching skills like creating corners and curving lines
· Recognize problems and learn how to fix them
· Learn how to read a sewing pattern
· Properly cut fabric in preparation of sewing
· Use industry standard construction and finishing sewing techniques
A Lifelong Skill With Unlimited Possibilities
Learning basics sewing skills is not only a rewarding skill but it is also something that you can develop over your lifetime. Start with something small and eventually work up to creating your own clothing.
If you have ever considered going into the fashion field this is a great place to start. Unlike most home sewing courses I focus on industry standards and teach you how the professionals sew.
I designed this course for the absolute beginner. If your machine has never been out of the box, no worries, I will show you how to set it up, teach you about the parts of the machine and how to safely operate it to effectively sew together your very first project.
You’ll learn all of these things in 22 lectures with over 3 hours of video content. Each lecture is broken down into easy to understand topics as to no overwhelm a beginner and created in real time so you can follow along or pause the lecture and pick it back up at any time.
By the time you finish this course you will be a confident seamstress well on your way to enjoying a skill that you can grow and develop over your lifetime. The machine will no longer be a scary machine but a place you visit for a creative outlet and a tool to help you construct some really cool stuff.
Who this course is for:
- This course is meant for adults who have a desire to learn new sewing skills.
- No prior sewing experience is necessary
- This course is meant for the absolute beginner but people with prior sewing knowledge can take this course to learn how to construct a tote bag.
- Some of the material covered in this class is the same as Beginner Sewing for Tweens and Teens but the project is more advanced.
I'm a fashion design educator with 7+ years teaching college aged students at a renowned art and design college.
The highlight of my career thus far is the publication of a textbook authored and illustrated by me called, Surface Design for Fabric and published by Bloomsbury Publications. It has been well received and has even become a part of the required curriculum in some of the top fashion design programs throughout the United States and England.
I began sewing as a young girl under the guidance of my grandmother, first learning quilting techniques eventually graduating to making clothes for my dolls and Barbies and then for myself and my friends. I believe that it is never too soon or too late a new skill.