How to make and sell beeswax candles
What you'll learn
- The wonderful properties of natural beeswax and why you should make beautiful beeswax candles
- The types of candles (Tea-lights, votives, tapers and pillar candles)
- Types of wicks suitable for making beeswax candles
- Essential equipment, dress & location needed to make beeswax candles
- How to source, render and filter beeswax
- How to make rolled beeswax candles
- How to make container/jar beeswax candles
- How to make dipped beeswax candles
- How to use silicon and other moulds to make beeswax candles
- How to add essential oils and fragrances to your beeswax candles
- The first steps to starting your beeswax candle making side hustle
- No experience required - just an interest in using beautiful beeswax
- Simple equipment required - you will be shown on the course
Beeswax is a wonderful wax produced by honey bees and is one of the most interesting products produced by nature. You will love the colour and the beautiful natural scent of beeswax. Although it may resemble other waxes, beeswax is entirely different in its chemistry and molecular characteristics. Beeswax has great value as a candle wax and burns very slowly. Beeswax is also very stable and subject to deterioration by very few solvents.
Beeswax is produced by worker bees after consuming nectar from flowers - the same source as honey. Beeswax is therefore a further elaboration of honey itself! In this way beeswax is directly linked to the natural environment. You will be contributing to the natural environment by using this wax because you will be supporting beekeeping. Bees and beekeeping are important to us humans as bees pollinate one third of the food that we eat!
In this course I show you how to use this amazing natural product, beeswax to make your own candles. You can use these candles in your own home or give them as gifts to friends and family. You can also start your own small business making and selling beautiful beeswax candles. You don't need to be a beekeeper - you just need a source of beeswax. The course will also direct you to sources of beeswax.
Everyone needs a side hustle these days and beeswax candles could be yours! If you enjoy working with your hands you will enjoy making candles.
The course will take you through beeswax - where it comes from and its properties. The course will show you the different ways to render wax from honeycombs. The course will teach you how to filter beeswax so that your wax is clean. The course will then show you how to candles using a variety of methods - container candles, moulded candles, dipped candles and rolled candles.
Once you have made your beautiful creations the course will take you through packaging options and how you can market and sell your beeswax candles. Who knows you may come to love beeswax so much that you might even want to become a beekeeper and produce your own wax (if you are not a beekeeper already!).
Who this course is for:
- Beginner candle makers who what to learn a new practical craft
- Those interested in making beeswax candles for pleasure or profit
- Students who want to make beautiful, naturally fragrant beeswax candles
My expertise lies in a variety of areas including futures thinking, the future of work and future skills for the 4th Industrial Revolution. I am also passionate about the environment and beekeeping (a life-long passion!).
I hold a Bachelors degree in Agricultural Science from University College Dublin, an MSc in Entrepreneurship (Stirling, University, UK), an MSc in Environmental Science (UCD) and a PhD in Rural Development (UCD).
I am an avid life-long learner which is essential for all of us in today's fast changing world.
I bring my varied background and experiences into all my courses on Udemy which I hope brings a fresh and enjoyable perspective to everything that I teach.
Thank you and I look forward to seeing you on one of my courses.