Intro to Health Insurance Terminology and Patient Engagement
What you'll learn
- Differentiate basic insurance jargon, such as HSA, HMO, PPO, or HDHP to select insurance options with increased confidence
- Identify necessary considerations in health care practitioner selection
- Apply principles to appropriately manage their health care
- You should have access to a computer and the internet.
In this course, we will go through the basics of insurance jargon, such as the differences between HMOs, PPOs, and HSAs, and discuss all these options in plain language. Further, the goal is to help you build confidence in selecting the right health care professionals, whether that be a general care practitioner, or identifying the right specialist, and to ask the right questions before, during and after your visit. The goal of this course is to provide principles which can be applied to proactively manage your health in a way that is as unique as you!
Who this course is for:
- This course is for someone who is just BEGINNING to interact with healthcare. You may be a recent college graduate who has to select from various insurance options for the first time, or you could be someone who has one option, but does not really understand it, when it boils down to the practical logistics of it.
- You may be someone who is experiencing a new health symptom, but you aren't sure where to start.
- Most importantly, should have a desire to engage in managing your health care. If this is not you, then the principles of this course will not be helpful.
- My explanation of insurance jargon is most applicable if you are living in the USA.
Tamar is the child of a Dentist and a Nurse Practitioner turned Psychologist. Having experienced the confusing tangle of insurance, and her own suite of frustrations regarding her health, she knows that not everyone has the easy and casual access to healthcare professionals that she does. This has made her a passionate advocate for empowering patients to make educated decisions about their healthcare.