All your home loan calculations in Excel
What you'll learn
- Calculate monthly payments due for a loan
- Calculate the interest portion being paid during each period of a loan and see how it changes over the course of the loan
- Calculate the capital portion of the loan that is being paid each month and see how it changes over the course of the loan
- Calculate the amount of money that can be saved by paying additional payments
- You should already know how to use Excel at a basic level and know how to create basic functions
- You will need Excel 2016 (prior versions will work but the screen may look different and this could cause confusion)
Learn to calculate how much money you can save by making additional payments into your home loan / mortgage or other loan.
In this course we'll learn how to use the Financial Loan formulas in Excel to calculate how much money you can save when making additional payments into your loan. We'll also learn to calculate the exact period at which you can pay your loan off. This will really assist you to set achievable goals regarding your outstanding mortgage bond.
This course will take you through a step-by-step guide to create a spreadsheet which details the payment for each period of a loan over the lifetime of the loan. In the example we look at a mortgage bond of 1,500,000 which is paid monthly over 20 years.
The course is created using Excel 2016 and although prior versions of Excel have all the same functionality, the screen may look different so if you are not comfortable using Excel you could get confused. You really should have some basic knowledge of Excel already and you should be able to use formulas and understand how to link cells into formulas.
The topics we cover in the course are:
The Excel PMT function to calculate the monthly payment
The Excel IPMT function to calculate the interest portion of each months payment
The Excel PPMT function to calculate the principal (capital) portion of each months payment
The Excel IF function for logical conditions
It is very encouraging to calculate how much you can save on your bond with even small additional amounts!
You can easily find templates or similar calculations but this course will truly help you understand how a loan works.
Who this course is for:
- This course is for anyone who has a mortgage bond (home loan or similar long-term loan) and who wants to calculate how much money they can save by making additional payments.
I'm a personal finance blogger from Cape Town and blog from www.TakeChargeOfYourMoney.blog
My topics include general finance, retirement planning, tips on saving and investing and how to take charge of your finances!
I'm also a regular contributor to a national newspaper and some other print and have a weekly radio spot to chat about personal finance issues.